I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Over Thinking It

I have started reading Brave New World, and I was really excited to read this book because it was an actual story and had a plot and characters, unlike the other two books we're reading. However when I first started reading Brave New World, the heavy use of medical terms confused me that ranged from peritoneal to thyroxin. Actually after I read chapter one I looked up a summary online to see if what I thought the chapter was about was accurate. That's how I learned about the caste system. On the other hand, after chapter one, I was able to follow the story line.
I am currently on chapter three, and why does Huxley splits the conversations up?  For example, for the first two chapters the D.H.C was giving a tour to a group of boys. Then when chapter three begins, there is a total of four conversations going on simultaneously. Huxley did it by showing the dialogue for one conversation, then the other and so on. I just don't understand the point. Why did Huxley find it necessary to have all four conversations going on simultaneously? I think there is a deeper meaning to why Huxley did this I just don't understand. However maybe it doesn't matter, but I am enjoying the book so far.

2 comments:

  1. The four simultaneous conversations were also very confusing for me. When they first started it took me a while to pick it up and identify who was talking at the time. I think a possible reason for him doing this is so readers would pay close attention and learn to identify the characters and their traits from an early point in the story. He probably wanted people to take their time on this chapter but, that's just my theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simultaneous conversation was also very confusing to me. As i continued to read the book, i made an assumption for why he did it and i saw the connection. I believe Huxley used this type of narration to symbolically connect the conversations. While the Controller is explaining how the people of this society are engineered, Fanny and Lenina are the prime examples of the end products. I'm not too sure if my assumption is correct, but it is just an idea.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.