I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 8, 2014

Final Thoughts and Reflection On AOTD

     Even though it took me a long time to finish Amusing Ourselves To Death, I really liked Postman's views on how television and media has changed a lot of how we as a society has changed. Our society focuses more on entertainment and pleasures than the truth. For example, in one of the chapter he talks about how an anchor got fired because she simply did not seem believable enough to the viewers. People care more about the appearance of the person telling the news instead of the actually news.
     Postman also pointed out many of his ideas that I hadn't noticed until I read this book. For example, when he pointed out how religion isn't seen as holy when televised but another form of entertainment. I watched some of the religious channels on television and I saw how they only focused on guests and the preachers were more important than the religious aspect of the shows. Even in my church, I noticed that people look for entertainment instead of learning about God. At my church there is a normal amount of people that attend but on certain weekends a guest celebrity visits and all of a sudden there are large amount of people that come. Then the next weekend it goes back to the normal amount of people. Entertainment has even changed our views on religion.
     Overall, even though it took me a long time to finish this book and I had to reread some of the chapter, I understand what Postman is saying about how television is changing our way of thinking and way of life. In our generation where technology is a big part of our life, we can only hope more people become more aware of the influence television has on our society.

1 comment:

  1. I indeed also enjoyed Postman's view on things such as television and media. It is surprising to me how appearance deceives us all, even on religious aspects. People should be coming to church because of their religious views, not if a famous celebrity is coming to that specific service. Hopefully our society will change their actions by seeing the "big picture" and not just the appearance. Overall, you make a very good point, Avram.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.