I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Fail to Recall.

Hello bloggers! I'm currently reading Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson and in one of the chapters, he discusses our memory. One sentence really stuck out to me, and it was, "Our ancestors learned how to remember, we'll learn how to forget" (44). Throughout this chapter, Thompson discusses how our brain does not always remember the exact details of a memory, and how they have created special technology (i.e. SenseCam) to help us remember. After reading this, I began trying to remember specific things about memories, and I would often have to ask my father things like, "Where were we when that happened?" Or, "Whose birthday did we celebrate at the Angels game?" I was amazed at the fact that I could barely remember certain parts of the memory. I was pretty much speechless after realizing this. Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just going crazy?

1 comment:

  1. It is true that our memory in today's time has become so pathetic as compared to people in cultures long ago who lacked the devices we depend on for remembering things. Memory cards in our phones and devices basically hold our memories in which we can refer to when we begin to ask questions of what we have forgotten. I know that I will forget simple things that have occurred recently and would have to check my phone or computer to see pictures or reread information to refresh my memory. Our dependence on technology has sadly deteriorated simple functions that we as humans have always been skilled at throughout time. So to your statement, I agree and do feel as though I lack the memorization skills of adults such as my parents who are not good with technology, but can remember things about me that I could not even recall about myself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.