I heart xkcd
Art Project
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Commit to it, or don't do it.
Hello everyone. I know most of you probably already read AOTD by Neil Postman, but I am currently reading that, and I came across something rather disturbing. In chapter 10, Postman starts off by discussing the fact that the hit children's television show "Sesame Street" benefits children, adults, and education. When he mentions the parent part, he says, "Parents were eager to hope that television could tech their children something other than which breakfast cereal has the most crackle." Now, I understand that this is merely a statement in Postman's book and he is not necessarily one of these parents, but in all honesty, this statement disgusts me. I know many mothers and I am an aunt to five kids, and even though that is nowhere near being a mother, but I find so much joy when I hear those kids say things like, "Aunty Sarah taught me how to...." I don't understand how someone could rely on a television show to teach their child anything! It doesn't make sense to me and I don't agree with it. Just my thoughts, and wanted to share with you all. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you. Yes, maybe while children are watching "educational" shows, they will learn something new, but are they really going to remember it? Most kids will probably forget about the simple things they learned on the show in a couple of days. It is also crazy that it is not just kids who learn things on the television and forget the information within minutes after watching the program. On page 152, Postman talks about how Stern did a test on people who just viewed a news program and found out that 51 percent of the people couldn't remember a single news thing they learned. It makes me think, are all these "educational" programs on the tv actually helping us?
ReplyDeleteHi Amy. That's crazy to think about. Fifty one percent?! What's the point if watching it then? That makes me not believe that these "educational" television shows are really helping us. I agree with you also Amy.
DeleteI too agree that nothing is compared to the feeling of triumph and joy when you are able to teach someone else a thing or two about the world they live in. But, perhaps that's exactly what these shows are aiming for. Maybe they truly DO want to influence and teach viewers but are going about it the wrong way. Then again, what would life be WITHOUT these children's programs? I can still remember most of the ones I grew up with as a kid and often remember the lessons they taught me. Heck, I STILL watch these shows without shame! I suppose I may be fighting for these shows in vain, however, since perhaps I am remembering and watching the ENTERTAINMENT part of the show more than THE EDUCATIONAL part.
ReplyDeletePerhaps this is what Neil Postman is trying to prove to us. I meant to add this to that last post, sorry about that.
DeleteHi Ariana. I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with your statement about these shows really wanting to teach. My post was directed more towards the parents that are okay with it being this way. And I'm with you, I still watch My Little Pony more often than not. Lol, thank you for your input though.
DeleteI also agree that it is unpleasant to think that parents would rather have their kids be taught by the television rather than teaching them. It may be easier for them that way but what's the fun in that? Parenthood is basically teaching your kids how things should be done. Television is the reason why many kids nowadays despise school. When the television was not yet invented, many kids were so excited to go to school because they would be able to learn many things. Now that the television and the internet is around, is there still a need for schools?
ReplyDeleteHi Paula. Now that television teaches as much as it does, I strongly agree with your last statement. DO we really need schools? I understand that there are some things that school teaches more in depth, but what's the point, if in twenty years, television will be teaching us it anyways.
Delete