I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Books on the Big Screen

I'm not sure if someone has already touched on this topic, but I would really like to input my opinion on this.  As long as we're talking about the effect of television and the Internet on our reading habits, I think we should reflect on the effects the movie industry has on us too. Now I'm not a complete hater.  If one of my favorite books gets made into a movie, I'll go watch it on the big screen.  But more often than not, I'm not completely satisfied with what I see.  From what I've personally seen, when books are made into movies, the movies usually aren't an accurate interpretation of the book.

Most of the time, the story line from the books are altered or shown in a different perspective so that it will be appealing to a broad audience of movie goers. Often times they'll skip over the main theme or leave out significant underlying meanings that gave the book depth in the first place.

When books are made into movies, most likely people will watch the movie without reading the book.  I mean why take the time to read a book when you can see the whole story play out in under two hours?  All the Internet is doing is promoting movies, thus steering us away from books even more.
What are your opinions? Comment below!

3 comments:

  1. I always have mixed feelings when books are turned into movies. When I found out that The Fault In Our Stars was going to be made into a movie, I was both excited and mad. I read the book awhile ago and I was hesitant if the movie was going to be as good. Yes, the movie was amazing, but when a book is made into a movie, there is always going to be small details that are left out. I also agree with you that technology is steering us away from books. Whenever a book becomes movie, someone always says, "I was going to read that book, but if it is going to be a movie, then there is no point to read it." It makes me kind of sad because personally I think reading a book gives you a better experience. Usually, I will read the book first even if the movie version is out. I don't know if I am the only person who does that, but I just like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting topic you brought up, Anvita! I, too, am not completely satisfied when my favorite books are adapted into movies. When I watched the first Hunger Games movie after I read the book, I was extremely pleased with it, but I was disappointed in the many scenes they had to alter for unnecessary reasons such as the scene where Katniss receives the mockingjay pin. However, I disagree with you when you say all the internet does is promote movies. There have been countless times where I have seen an advertisement for a new novel or book series online as well as on television. It is unfortunate that people decide to give up on reading a book that will be turned into a movie, but there are also multitudes of people who will read the book before the movies comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of time when I found out about a book that I read is being made into a movie adaption I get really excited if I really liked that book. Up to the day I go see it I wonder how the actors will portray scenes from the book onto the big screen. More often than not when I come out of the movie theater I am disappointed. Either a scene that I like from the book is not shown at all during the movie or there are scenes that are completely altered from the book. Sometimes I even come out of the movie theater confused when there's sudden scenes that never occurred in the book. It makes me kinda sad when people decide not to read the book anymore since the movie's coming out anyways.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.