One of the things that Nicholas Carr brings up a good amount of times in his book is the ability to stay focused while reading a book. He and a few others admitted to having a difficult time staying focused. They believe it is because of how much they use their computers because it changes the way they read and gather information.
PHEW!! I thought I had a problem or something because I am the same way! I've often wondered why I am like this. When reading any type of book or even just doing homework, I find myself daydreaming or looking off into the distance or playing with my hair or just thinking about other things I could be doing. I did not realize that the Internet could have that type of effect because when on the Internet, I'm still reading whether it's articles or a joke or lyrics to a song. Staying focused does require a lot of self discipline. Especially for me.
Thanks for reading! Leave a comment down below (:
I've noticed this also. In fact, it's happening to me right now as it is. I've tried to focus on my readings right now but I get distracted by the most mundane of things. Right now, I'm reading every singe post of this whole blog because I'm "bored." Bored as in I'm not interested in finishing up my homework.
ReplyDeleteI notice this with myself a lot. Especially when I'm doing homework. Sometimes it is hard to stay focused because the subject is just not interesting to me but other times it's because there's something better to look at like my phone or the internet. I'm trying to undo this habit and be more focused
ReplyDeleteI have also noticed this. Every time I read a book, I will read through some pages and then I will be like "Hmmmmm, I wonder what is happening on twitter right now?" I then end up not reading, but staying on my phone for an hour. There is always something better to do. I have been trying to stop this habit while I'm reading the summer homework books by putting my phone in my room and then going across my house into a different. I still find things that distract me, but I get more work done then if the phone was next to me.
ReplyDelete