I heart xkcd
Art Project
Saturday, August 16, 2014
A Connection: Our World to Brave New World
As I'm reading Brave New World, I noticed that our society and this fictional society have a similar quality. In both societies, people tend to judge others for being different or abnormal. For example, in the book when Lenina and Bernard first enter the Reservation, Lenina is constantly pointing out every obsurd thing she sees because it is different than what she is normally used to back home. In our society, we judge others because of how differently they look or act. Many people don't understand other cultures or groups because they are used to what is normal in their own culture. Is just human nature for us to look down on others who are different because they makes us uncomfortable from the norm?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think it's human nature to look down on others but I do think it is human nature to view others who look different or act differently, differently. It isn't human nature to judge people negatively. I know that I am the kind of person to point out everything always but I don't do it in a negative way. Yes I will admit that in our society there are many people who do judge others and look down on those that are different but its not human nature because not everybody is like that.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you Tony. I think when people point things out it can be out of curiosity. It does not necessarily mean they are judging. It is true though that there are many people that look down on others who are different. I have read somewhere that humans are like herd-animals they want to be a part of a group, the ingroup.
DeleteI agree with you Tony. Indeed, society involves the "many people who do judge others and look down on those that are different". Yet, "its not human nature". (In response to Tony's comment).
ReplyDeleteJust to further understand how Paula stated "that humans are like herd-animals [where] they WANT to be a part of a group", human nature tends to attract individuals to others who share similar ideas. Among these ideas, it also appears that there is what we may call an 'ego'.
As humans group together on the basis of ideas, these groups as a whole may reject the ideas of other groups in the process of developing their own ideas. Human nature likes to believe in superiority, not only in individuality itself but also in the superiority of ideas.
Due to the belief in superiority, it is possible to assume that human nature purposely looks down upon other people in response to differences. But maybe this is the effect of the ego among human beings?
In any general case, what is considered societies "norm"? Is it possible that individuals view what the "norm" is differently?
I wouldn't say people judge others out of human nature, but they do view others as different out of human nature. Many people learn to view different as inferior. They judge others because the others don't exactly follow what everyone else is doing. But most people would just view them as extraordinary, without any superior or inferior feelings, out of human nature. Even those who are following what everyone else is doing should not judge another, but view them as different. If they do end up judging, it is not through human nature.
ReplyDelete