Have you ever sat on the couch watching the news, wondering why you are still watching it? I have plenty of times! Just the other day I was watching the news, and I realized how much I agree with the book, Amusing Ourselves to Death. Postman states that, “We accept the newscasters' invitation because we know that the "news" is not to be taken seriously” (87). As I watched the news, I realized how many distractions there are from the important information. From the friendly newscasters, to the random clips about a healthy yogurt place opening up, the news is more than information for us. It is yet another show for us to enjoy on the television. Even though I just watched the news a couple of days ago, I can't remember anything except a bunch of shootings that occurred and that healthy yogurt shop that's opening up! I have learned from Postman that the news is not to be taken seriously, it is yet another amusement for our eyes to feast on. What’s your take on the news?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. I think the news is just another entertainment show for us. Yes, it is good to be aware of the things that are happening, but I am sure most of us won't remember the things we see. Days after we watch the news, we aren't going to remember about most of the events. I also agree with you about how we will most likely remember the random commercials or ads about food then the actual news that the newscaster talks about.
ReplyDeleteI have to disagree with you, Amy. I believe that the news is very important for many people in informing them on current events that take place all around the world. Although there does exist a fair share of Americans who could care less about something that doesn't affect them, there are also many Americans who actually care about their surroundings or are curious of how new policy changes will affect the way they live. Though there is some truth to your statement, it is important to remember that for every clueless American watching the news, there will also be another person, maybe even two, who are actually retaining the important information. I wouldn't lose hope on Americans too soon.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I believe the news is mostly for our amusement, I do partially agree with your comment. I think it just depends on what is happening around the world at the time the news is on. As a matter of fact, I was just watching the news right now and learned about many protests, shootings, and threats that are happening in not only California but also around the world. However, I do think that the news focuses on many random and useless subjects, when it could be focusing on important events. I honestly think it just depends on what events are happening when you watch the news, because the last time I watched the news it was very dull and informative. Thank you for your comment, it made me think twice about what I wrote!
DeleteI agree with Patricia. Even if the news is about something in another city that has no relevance to us, it still has relevance to people living in that city. Also, many people like to know what is going on around them. I see the news as current history that we can absorb knowledge from.
DeleteYour last sentence really caught my eye, David. After reading Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, my opinion of the news was that it was pure entertainment as Postman described. I felt as Elyse did when she wrote her post. However, when I read your last sentence, I realized that there is a lot to learn from the news. Like Elyse said in her comment, it just depends on what is happening around the world at the time.
DeleteAlso I don't believe that hearing about events around the world are entirely irrelevant if we don't live in that part of the world. It's like history books. We read about wars that went on in other parts of the world. Why do we need to know this if it isn't happening here? We read about these events so that we learn not to make the same mistakes. The news broadcasts event going on all over the world, so that the few Americans who retain the information, can learn how to prevent this from happening here or even attempt to help themselves. Although news does focus on being entertaining, we are still provided with information. The new is a lot like the internet. How we decided to use it is up to us. We choose whether we want to retain the information or not.
I totally agree with you, Jocelyn. I feel as if there is just a lot of entertainment, meant to keep you interested in the channel. But, I also agree that just because it's not happening near you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. For example, what's happening in Ferguson. Even though the tension is happening no where near us, all I see on twitter (from people who live in California) is support and help to the people in Ferguson. People do choose what they want to retain, and we also learn from others.
Delete