I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

In Conclusion

The summer homework is done, everything is turned in, and our opinions on technology have at least been slightly altered, whether toward a more positive or negative point of view. The thing is, I've noticed that I've come out with a more negative view of technology, along with quite a lot of other kids whose last names are at the beginning of the alphabet. All three books talk about our opinions on things being based on what we read and see through the media (AOTD focuses on this the most, I think), and I think that's exactly what happened here. Many of the kids who read Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson came out with a more positive view of technology, or at least it was less negative than the kids who had to read The Shallows, despite them also having read Brave New World and AOTD. I almost feel like the kids who read Smarter Than You Think  had a better chance at forming their own opinion because they still had Postman and Huxley to give them slightly more negative views of technology. Our opinions changed because of these books, and I'm starting to think that I may not have seen all three sides of this story. I think I believed what was said in these books more than I would have an article on the internet because these author's know their stuff, and I have no doubt that their facts are correct. However, when you're only shown facts for one side of the story, it can be misleading. In conclusion, I did come out of the summer homework with a more negative and cautious view of technology, but this can change at any time. I will continue to look for the other two sides of this story because I don't won't to form my opinion on only half the facts. Either way, the summer homework was very informative, and it did help me understand technology's impact on our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Thankfully, I was assigned to read "Smarter Than You Think" by Clive Thompson, and as you said, I have more of a positive view on technology than those who read "The Shallows." Reading three books all about the negative effects of technology must have been frustrating, I don't think I could have done it. Being able to read about two different sides of an argument definitely helped in my reading because I used quotes from each book to argue with each other. So for me I was watching a debate instead of reading facts about one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lina I'm glad you have an open mind and strive to see all sides of the equation. My parents and grandparents are very one sided but, when it comes to me, I try to understand all points of view in order to form my opinion. I'm very excited to see that many people in our generation does not have a narrow view of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was assigned to read "Smarter Than You Think" and I do have a positive outlook on technology. I'm glad I was able to see both sides of the story unlike you. Even though this book persuaded me more than "Amusing Ourselves to Death," I was still able to hold an argument in my mind and choose a side to defend. I think that for future AP English classes, all students should receive a blend of books about both sides of the argument about technology.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.