I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Distractions

As I continued to read The Shallows, I noticed that what Carr was saying is extremely relevant. Carr argues that the internet causes you to become distracted which is very true. Personally, it is difficult for me to go on a computer without going on the internet. I start out by typing on Microsoft Word and eventually, I end up on Tumblr or Youtube. Not only is it distracting, there is so much information that is constantly being thrown at you. In this quote, Mitchell Kapor states, "Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink of water from a fire hydrant." With that being said, it is difficult for us to decide whether this information is factual and relevant to you considering that a lot of the content being published is purely for entertainment. Feel free to leave any comments about what you think.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Sometimes, just staying on the blog and reading the posts and comments was difficult with all of the distractions just out of the corner of my eye. The inability to think straight and stay undistracted is a very hard one to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am seriously digging that quote! But yeah you have a point. When the internet is a click away, the devil on your shoulder just tells you to sign away from your homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Awkward when Jessica said the same exact thing haha. But while typing all my essays, I always found myself browsing the web. I can't focus.

    It's all a matter of self control, but I guess my brain neurons have been rerouted for the net.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Carr as well. I have picked up my phone so many times while doing my online blogging, it makes me feel like I won't finish everything before midnight. I wish I could say that this blog is the only tab I have open at the moment, but it isn't. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. There are especially a lot of distractions since I'm blogging from my phone, but there really isn't any other choice. Anyways, I also agree with Carr in saying that the internet is a complete distraction. With all the ads and social media you can access, it's hard to just stay focused on one thing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.