As I read Brave New
world it was a rather peculiar futuristic society filled with soma, a
pregnancy substitute, and genetically engineered children?! It was both confusing and intriguing at the
same time, I was shocked that being in a relationship was looked down upon but
seeing a different person each week was a good thing. I was also not a huge fan
of the women’s role in the World State they were really easy and they were
objectified through half of the book. They
weren’t treated as equals at all. In the society they praised Ford replacing
religion with their own religion (if I am not mistaken).
Your not mistaken. Henry Ford is their religious figure indeed. Which is quite symbolic due to the fact that Ford was a major industrial contributor during his life. This shows that the World State is focused on industry.
ReplyDeleteHuxley is also very careful and smart because everything that we use that is connected with religion he connects Ford. For example the dates include A.F. which stand for "After Ford" (I'm not sure if they mentioned this in the book). Huxley even goes as far as replacing everyday expressions that we use that contain "God" with "Ford".
Hello Melissa! I found the book extremely interesting and it made me question whether the book would become a reality. However, after i finished it I realized it couldn't happen, well not anytime soon. The objectification of women portrayed how women were seen in Huxley's time and now. I also read that their religious leader is named after the Ford Motor Company's founder, Henry Ford. I found Huxley's use of him clever because Henry Ford is known as the one who began the industrial process.
ReplyDelete