As I was reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, I, like many
others, thought it was quite difficult to read. Perhaps unlike others, though,
it was not the word choice or the sentence structure. These were more difficult
than normal, but I do not think this was the tough element of this book. I
think this book is difficult because I cannot envision what is happening while
I read it.
When I read a narrative book, I read
it like I watch television. I see a moving picture of what is happening. If the
book is written well, I can even place myself in the book and see what each
character sees and hear what each character hears. Since I can see it, I can
understand it even better. The reason I can see it as a moving picture is
because events happen one after another, just like a movie or a television
show.
Huxley’s Amusing Ourselves to Death is not a narrative, though, so I cannot
envision the ideas in my head. I have to process each word, instead of each
picture, slowly and methodically. Though I can kind of hear him (in a dreary
and monotone voice), this sound does not add to his ideas.
This reminds me of the dependence
our generation has developed on images he explained in the second part of his
book. My dependence gets in the way of understanding his ideas. Tell me if you
have felt the same problem has impeded your reading.
I've also had this problem with the visual dependency and reading books like Amusing Ourselves to Death. This is just another thing that technology has done to our mind. Technology altered our brains to focus on images rather then words and their meanings.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Amusing Ourselves To Death is by Postman, not Huxley.
I agree with Solomon as well but I also did think the grammar and sentence structure was a bit advanced. Amusing Ourselves to Death was unlike any book that I've read and it was hard to picture what was going on but I think that it the difference between non fiction and fiction books.
ReplyDelete