I really like how Aldous Huxley included a reference to Romeo and Juliet into Brave New World. John was from a lower class, in a sense, growing up on the reservation, while Lenina grew up in London with more accessibilities, essentially putting her in a higher class. Despite the fact that they're both from two different worlds, they end up falling for each other anyways. This is the same love story seen in Romeo and Juliet as well. In their case, rivaling families isn't what stops John and Lenina, it's the way the World State is. What stops this that they both have different beliefs because of the culture that they grew up in. I believe John's love of Shakespeare's play is the driving factor that makes John so crazy in love with Lenina, with her being the only one his sights are set on. Unfortunately, Lenina still has beliefs such as "everyone belongs to everyone". That stops this relationship short along with other factors.
I would like to hear other opinions about John and Lenina's strange romance.
Wow! I cannot believe I did not make this seemingly obvious connection. I agree with you because Lenina's beliefs are stopping a relationship much like the family of Juliet was preventing her and Romeo's relationship. I must also mention another similarity between the two couples- the suicide. Both Romeo and John committed suicide after realizing there was no hope of being with the person they loved.
ReplyDelete