I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Google's Growth

          In chapter eight of The Shallows, Carr discusses how the webpage is getting too powerful for its own good. While using Google as an example, he explains how the men who invented it, Larry Page and Sergey Bin, are not fully satisfied with it just yet. Although Google is one of the best search engines on the internet, they want to keep improving it "until it is able to index the Web every second to allow real-time search.' The company is also striving to further expand its hold on Web users and their data" (159). Over the last couple of years, Google has bought big companies such as YouTube and Android. Like every business, Google just wants to make money. However, Carr is concerned to what extent will Google go to strive this achievement. 
          Personally, I believe that Google is one of the greatest websites in finding information. But is Google really helping us or helping us rely on Google? 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement about how google is very useful. Its probably on par with how useful smartphones are in today's world. As for your question I think the answer is a combination of both. I think google is incredibly helpful but also its possible that they set out to bring in users because thats how they make money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I would survive the rest of my high school life without google. I google everything, even when can just look it up in my textbook or something. I think that in a way, its main purpose is to help us, but it is our own laziness that causes us to rely on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google is probably the number one website where people go to find information but I do think we rely on it too much. When I don't know an answer to something I always go on Google. Don't get me wrong it is very helpful but I don't want to get to dependent on it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.