I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Paradox

Even though I've been long done with The Shallows, there is one line in the book that is still stuck in my head.  I don't have the exact quote, but it was about how the Internet came with many paradoxes.  The one Carr focused on was how the Internet grabs our attention just to scatter it.  I found this paradox so interesting just because it is so true.  If you think about it, just about everyone, mostly teens, get sucked into their phones and computers.  They get so focused in on the technology and pay no attention to the outside world.  But what do we do while we're on our gadgets?  Our brain goes into a frenzy of so may things at once.  First you have to text your friend back, then finish off your Instagram feed, go through some of your Tumblr, oh look, I have to reply again to the same person.  This is done over and over again which keeps our attention locked in on our technology, yet leads our brains all over the place.  I never realized how much the Internet allows us to do in such a short amount of time.  How much has the Internet actually affected the amount of attention we give?  I, personally, have this issue myself.  I am one of those people who can't live without their phones.  The Shallows made me realize how much of a distractor my phone really is.  It's a paradox because it was meant to help speed things up, but slows things down for me due to the fact that it's a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.