I am so glad that I got the chance to read these three summer books. They have not only changed my opinion on technology, but they also helped me become aware of my activity in technology. After reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, The Shallows, and Brave New World my views have changed. I had never thought about the consequences of using technology, I used to only focus on the benefits. When on the internet, I would get distracted by ads, hypertexts, and so on. After reading these books, I have become more aware of how often I get distracted. I, just as Carr, am losing my ability to concentrate due to technology.
If I hadn't had the chance to read these summer books, I would have enjoyed technology without knowing the warnings. Thanks to these books, I am now more aware of the consequences of technology and how it is changing our brains. I hope that more people around the world also take notice of what technology can do to our minds. I think there should be more disclaimers on technology that tell you the consequences of using it. What is your opinion?
I don't believe that regular use of technology causes brain problems. Technology may make us lazy, but I think we are just easily distracted.
ReplyDeleteHi Elyse! I get you, I always was so focused on how good technology was and how fun it could be but I never realized how it is damaging our culture. These were really interesting books and I'm glad I got a chance to read them. Now I have a different view on technology!
ReplyDeleteThese books also changed my opinion on technology. I still get distracted and procrastinate because of technology, but I am working on it so I won't be so addicted to using technology. It's great to know all these things because now we can all work on using technology in a better way.
ReplyDelete