I heart xkcd
Art Project
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Women Should Be Respected in Any Society
After reading the Brave New World, I have noticed that Huxley portrays women in the World State as figures for sex. It bothered me to notice that women are not shown respect in the World State because to me they should be the most important people on Earth. They should be respected in any society because they carry a baby for nine months, go through the pain of having a baby, nurture the baby after its born, and most of all they bring life into our world. I guess it bothers me because I would not want the women in my life such as my mom, aunts, grandmothers, cousins, and my lady friends to be treated like they are only good for sex. After all the stuff that women have been through to bring life into the world, the last thing that should happen to them is to be respected by men and I certainly will do my best to never disrespect and respectable women. What do you think? I know it is a fiction novel but still. Do you think women should be treated with love and respect? And if so, what is your reason for it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you. It was really off putting to see women in such a negative way. Women are treated so poorly in this society it makes me cringe when I read it. The sex object was just the tip of the iceberg. Women cant have any high power jobs which is disturbing since we today live in a society where women are equal with men and can do anything. Also in accordance with the sex women are sterilized where the men are left unscathed. I think they deserve total respect but this story was pretty bizarre so I kind of saw this coming on the other hand
ReplyDeleteHonestly i think it is absolutely GREAT that you two are not supporters of the female involvement as sex items, although as i was reading your comment, bao i have to disagree with a point you made. You stated "Women cant have any high power jobs which is disturbing since we today live in a society where women are equal with men and can do anything." OKAY... To start off, i actually believe women are seen the same as they are in a book that was published in the 20th century. Mostly because (i hate to break it to you) women are NOT equal with men. If we were equal, a woman would be president and there would be no such thing as feminism. Feminism is here for a reason, i think its lovely that u guys are all for women rights but as horrible as it is, there are SO many men out there that view us women as weak figures that are ""too emotional"" to be able to run a country. I find this absolutely tragic and i just dont have much time to explain this enough for you but i needed to get that little bit off my chest. OH and also, women aren't really "worrying" about carrying babies in the book, therefore i guess respecting them doesn't seem a big deal as it should more in todays world :-(
DeleteI definitely agree with Valerie. I mean it's great to hear that boys this day and age are actually respectful (well some boys) and appreciate girls, but you're taking it a little too far to say that men and women are equal. The whole president predicament is a big reason why we're not equal. Men will always think they are better, stronger, smarter than women. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do.
DeleteThey actually aren't blatantly disrespected in the World State. I mean, I'll admit that they are seen as sex items, but look at it like this.
ReplyDeleteThey can have the same jobs as men.
They can go to all the places where men can go (except things like bathrooms and stuff).
The only reason that they can't vote is that there aren't any elections.
They can still refuse sex if they want to.
You're right, they're more equal in their world than they would be in ours.
Delete