I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Technology and the Sculpting of the Human Will

Even after finishing the notebook, I remember skimming through topics and quotes from Nicholas Carr's The Shallows: What The Internet is Doing To Our Brains. I came across a line that really led me to think of the present day mind among technology.

"Every technology is an expression of human will." (Carr 44)

This quote simply implies that technology, which humans have created, express the will, desires, and ideals of the human brain. Such a quote made me think about the extent of the power of technology over humans in comparison to the contradictory (human power over technology). In the modern world, we as humans cannot help but adapt to the fact that technology is there to be used. The increased dependence on technology in our daily lives have shaped the way we think, as well as shaping the way technology is created and used.

A majority of today's technology, or should I say pretty much all technology, has been made for the purpose to get things done with convenience and benefit.  So technology's purpose for humans was to conveniently appeal to our wills. But has technology altered what we should desire? Has it changed our will?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.