The Internet takes up hours in an average person's day. We spend so much time texting, tweeting, and Googling that we miss out on opportunities to serve or interact with our fellow men in person. When we like a worthy Facebook cause, it's as if we are telling ourselves, "It's okay to be on the web for hours. We are making a difference!" It is our justification for our distraction. Yes, liking a homeless shelter page can bring awareness to homeless people's need, but think about what an even greater impact could be made if all the people who liked the page also went and volunteered at the shelter! Its like the difference between a greeting card and the actual physical presence of a person. The greeting card is a small token of appreciation, but being able to actually talk to the person in real life is better.
Neil Postman warns that television is negatively changing our news, religion, politics, and education system. Nicholas Carr says that we are destined to be destroyed by the Internet. Aldous Huxley's "brave new world" serves as a warning to us of what we may become. Can we rise above the challenges these three authors discuss and cling to the characteristics that make us human? I believe that we have a better chance of doing so if we spend less time "liking" pages and more time loving others. Do you agree or disagree?
I agree Kaila! And I LOVE this video. It's so funny. People need to spend more time with each other in person. Real connections are lost through the internet. But real connections are also made. I don't know how I would keep track of my friends lives without websites like Facebook. Not to sound stalkerish. But I mean the little things. Like when someone posts about their vacation that they just went on and they have a ton of pictures from it. I didn't even know they took a vacation to mexico, nor do I care, but if I happen to run into them someplace then I at least have some grounds for starting a conversation. So I don't know if I'm answering your question or even sufficiently responding to your post. All I know is that Facebook and other social media sites are extremely useful and were made for people to make connections and I believe that they are still doing that.
ReplyDelete