I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Are We Happy?

Recently, I realized just how fast technology is advancing.  I mean we practically get a new iPhone every six months.  We, as people ( or more specifically: teenagers) always want the newest, coolest things on the market.  So it makes me wonder whether we are actually happy with the technology we have or we're just satisfied until the next thing comes along.  I remember in seventh grade, I got my first phone and for a good year I was pretty content.  But soon I started seeing all the things I was missing out on with a regular phone.  Now I wanted to move on too the iPhone.  I feel like, as technology keeps innovating and more gadgets and cool things are being put out,  we become less happy with what we already have.  Why does technology have this kind of power over us? How did we let ourselves fall so deep into this addiction hole? And more importantly, is it possible to get worse?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that the appeal of technology comes with the actual perks, but of the satisfaction we receive from getting something new, cutting edge, and more up to date than those around us. I just recently got a Galaxy 4 and was absolutely ecstatic about my new phone. However, with the release of the Galaxy 5, I became impatient and ready for a new phone. And this was only three weeks later! I do think it's possible to get worse, since I think I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anvita, I never really thought whether we are happy and love what we have or if we are just satisfied as we wait for the newest device. Now I realize that I am just satisfied because if I truly loved what I already had I wouldn't want to trade it for something new right away. Technology has a great power over us in a way that makes us addicted to it and as long as it overpowers us we won't be able to break away from the addiction. I believe with all the advances that keep coming along the addiction will only become worse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.