Hi Kids:
I will be swinging by school today to pick up any early notebooks, and I will be there again tomorrow to pick up the rest.
The office closes at 3:00 p.m., and I won't accept any notebooks after that unless you have made arrangements with me in advance. Over the years, the women who work in the office have heard every story there is, but they will not accept your work after 3:00. That's the end of that story.
The blog will "go quiet" after midnight on Friday. Of course, you can still post if you want, but I won't count anything toward summer homework after that time. The blog has taken on a life of its own, and I'd like to think that conversations may continue, even if they are not being evaluated for a grade.
By mid-week next week, I'll have a roster finalized based on the work I have received. I will email all students who are enrolled in AP English for 2014-15, and email all students who may have been blogging a little, or may have turned in a notebook, but did not successfully complete all of the work.
I have had six students ask me to drop them, but there are many more who signed up for the blog but who have not posted anything, so I am assuming I won't get a notebook from them either. Sometimes though, I do receive notebooks from kids who did not blog, so I just send a brief email to explain that they are being moved to College Prep.
It is in your best interest to keep track of your posts and comments. There are many posts, but even MORE comments -- over 800, the last time I looked -- so it is possible that I may have overlooked one or two along the way. Many of you have exceeded your requirement, and I really, really like that. What I mean is that I can clearly see that you are not working any more to fulfill my requirements, but you are engaging with your peers because it is interesting. I see you offering support and gentle challenges, and THAT, my little home children, is what it is all about.
We're going to have a good year. I am going to teach with my hair on fire, all year long. Maybe one or two days, the hair will be merely smoldering, but with a puff or two of oxygen, and we'll be ablaze all over again.
Alright so the due date has not changed from August 21st?
ReplyDeleteMy fingers will be crossed until the moment we get to school. It would really suck if I wrote all of this cursive for naught.
ReplyDeleteI'm assuming the same rules apply to the blog after the 22nd, or will you leave us to anarchy?
ReplyDeleteWe should all post the Purge speech on the blog at exactly midnight on friday
DeleteI'm wondering if we have to use the blog for later discussions about future books we have to read for English?
ReplyDeleteSo if we do both the notebook and blog we still might not get into the class?
ReplyDeleteQuestions, answered:
ReplyDeleteAM: Due dates have not changed.
JL: Keep your fingers crossed. I like that idea. Keep you out of trouble.
RW: Simple humanity and good etiquette>>always a good idea. I do see how anarchy could be fun though. Is it possible to practice anarchy nicely?
RT: We do use the blog during the school year, but not as much as summer.
MV: If you do ALL of the work, the only way to miss the class is to catapult yourself into outer space or something along those lines.
Oh, what do you know, a magical catapult just materialized in my living room. Say bye to AP, Josh! -fling-
Delete