Tonight, my parents were talking to me about an old internet service that my neighbor uses. It is an internet service called Dial Up. In order to access the internet, you first have to type a number into your computer to be able to connect to your internet provider. It then connects to the internet through the telephone line. Unfortunately, that you could not use your phone while you're using the internet. Though people did not spend as much time on the internet as they do today, it was not necessary to have your phone operating while your computer was on. The internet also appears mainly in text, with limited pictures and no videos at all. There's not much to do on the internet, because the technology could not handle it.
I find it amazing that my neighbor still uses this. Imagine not having email, social media, youtube, and even google! Many of us, including me, would have trouble doing simple everyday tasks. Learning about this has changed the way I think about the internet. I think we are now so lucky to be able to have so much information at our fingertips, but of course it has its consequences. Please comment and let me know what you think about Dial Up!
Yes! I agree. The advancement of technology is amazing, and it will only get better. Until I was about 6 years old, my parents still used dial up. I remember it was frustrating to my parents to not be able to use the telephone when someone was on the computer. Nowadays I can use my iphone, the computer, wireless telephone, and any other electronic all at the same time. Hooray for 2014!!!!
ReplyDeleteI believe I could live without internet...if I didn't go to school! It would be near impossible to finish everything I have to for school without the internet, since it holds so many different people's opinions! Their facts and thoughts are so informational and so important when it comes to schoolwork, I wouldn't survive! Humans are a heck of a lot smarter when they have access to the internet and it is true! Where'd you learn that? Internet. How'd you do that? Internet. It's simply what it all boils down to. However, if someone were to ask me to survive the summer without internet (without summer homework) I would have no problem with it. I would be able to focus on my writing and get myself reorganized. Maybe taking a day off would be a good idea.
ReplyDelete