I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Search Engines are Life Savers

What if every search  engine disappeared the night before a research paper was do?  That means no Google, Bing, Wikipedia, etc.  Would my fellow bloggers have the necessary printed materials to be able to complete said paper? I thought about this for a while and I realized I would fail miserably.  As I, like most of my classmates, rely too heavily on search engines for my homework needs. Because of this, i do not own a thesaurus, dictionary, atlas, or any books that could help me in school. Even when school is in session and I have my textbooks five feet away from me, I would still rather Google my questions than to sift through pages looking for my answer.  Then I realized just how hard it would have been to do a simple project or research paper in say, the 70's. I would not have the patience to sift through multiple books for hours writing down information as I went. I assume most of the teenagers of my generation would agree with this, heck, most of Americans would probably agree with this. Thus, I applaud all who went through high school and college without the internet, it must have been tough. Then again, the older generations did not know any different. Spending hours upon hours researching for every school project and paper probably did not seem as bad, since it was the only option. This makes me wonder just how much the internet will evolve in the next twenty years? Just how easy will our Children have it when it comes to finding information? It is scary to think about what the internet will become as technology progresses. I just hope our generation and the generations to come use it to benefit society.

4 comments:

  1. I agree entirely. I feel as if the most recent generation of both, children and adults, are spoiled with quick research and easy information at the click of a button. As most of our generation did not experience the hard work and labor of researching through tons of books and continues to take the easier, technological path given to us, we begin to feel entitled to the more advanced, simpler research we have, for example: search engines. As time goes on, more and more generations will continue with their technological advances, leading to even less difficult research, leaving books and libraries a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always tells me how lucky I am to have the internet while being in school. I don't know how I would get through most of my homework without it. Having the internet gives us the ability to find things faster, but it truly is making us lazier. We would all rather google a question then to look through all the pages of the APUSH book. I agree with Daryl about books and libraries becoming a distant memory. Technology is just going to keep getting more and more advanced. I can't even think about what crazy kind of technology will exist in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's scary to think how advanced the internet will be in twenty years. To think the internet is already causing problems with our concentration levels, twenty years from now we will really have problems! I think that our society is taking advantage of having answers at our fingertips. Even I admit to being lazy and turning to the internet for school, I think we all have. It's just so hard to resist the temptation of getting information so quickly. I hope that the technology of our society changes for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents and sometimes my grandparents will often tell me that I have life too easy and that I have nothing to complain about because today is nothing like their days. I sat there and thought about that for a while and as you have mentioned, what would I do if the day before my project is due and there was no internet. I would have a mid-life crisis, I am totally dependent upon search engines to help me with my work and simply put I don't know how it is to go to the library and stay there and get my information from books. The only reason I go to the library is to check out a book that I need to read for an assignment. So I wouldn't know how I would handle the situation of not having search engines the night before my project is due and it makes me think that I should learn how to use books instead of being dependent upon Google

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.