With Clive Thompson's book about the great positive attributes of technology, I couldn't help but see what he was trying to say about the internet's communication skills. We are basically connected to everything on the web. We connect with people from across the globe to people we see at school. It's a phenomenon that I feel stitches the citizens of Earth together.
With the power of the internet, we can actually connect with people for basically any genre no matter how niche the topic on hand is. I have my very own experience with this technology with just communicating with others about the ideas of a zombie apocalypse. We basically discussed our ideas on what would happen and if we had our own empires, what would be the best government during this time period? It got so engrossing that we basically role-played as to what would we do in Zombie Apocalypse. I now basically have an incredibly long document on each person's actions from Anthony Sayas, who would become a medic to prove his worth to the survivors, to Hayden Nguyen, who wanted to start his own religion that would attract the helpless survivors who would help him raise his own empire. It was incredibly interesting with how each person would react to this invasion.
Without the internet, we wouldn't have the ability to connect with others like this. It allowed us to connect without having to meet up for every time we wanted to brainstorm our ideas. It gave us a central and clear way to express our thoughts and I wouldn't want to lose this unique opportunity.
Hayden became a dictator later on....
This was really fun especially with a lot of people. It's still even going on as we speak. It's interesting how our mind would think and react to certain situations if they were to happen in real life. It really brings up the idea of fight or flight and survival of the fittest. This game is a lot like dungeons in dragons yet we take a bit more logical and reasonable approach to this game and try to make it as realistic as possible. It's fun to be able to connect and role play as people to escape the world for a while if it's becoming a bit bland and uninteresting.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI agree with you! It was a blast at what people would do! I thought that everyone would forget about this idea after the first couple of sentences; however, it didn't end like that. It became something more then what we originally expected. It became our outlet when times got rough and we just wanted to enjoy a game in a different world.
DeleteWhile I respect Anthony's choice on becoming a medic on a zombie apocalypse, I doubt a democracy could work in this situation. Hayden's society was a better solution for this type of situation with a dictatorship like rule. I know it seems harsh but having a democracy would have people arguing with each other on what act should be chosen when we need a leader at at time like this.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThe whole point of choosing the medic in this fantasy RPG was so that I can find a cure for the massive outbreak. I never really intended to be a leader in the first place. I view my people as equals and if they want to leave they may. I don't want to force them under my rule cause that could lead some problems. Hayden already has the hate of all the women in his empire. What if a revolt happens? He would have no option but to kill all of them. Would we be wiped out since we wouldn't be able to procreate?
DeleteI have to say that was the entire point of Hayden's idea of production. He wanted to ensure that the human population would increase instead of slowly succumb to the zombies. Hayden had to sacrifice his humanity to do what's right for humankind. Procreation was the entire reason that Hayden had to do what he had to do. If he had set up a democracy, Hayden would have no-one agreeing with his extremist ideas. Having a dictator-like rule would be good for the short-term, so everyone could slowly adjust to this new environment. I agree that a democracy is always the best option but this works on the long-term plans.
DeleteA revolt would probably not happen, because he took the appropriate actions by keeping two guards for every rebel; which leads your point moot.
You guys might want to calm down a little with this. The blog is not even open anymore and this conversation has derailed into something completely different.
DeleteFirst of all, I absolutely do not support rape in any form at all. Please don't lash at me with no evidence at all. It's demeaning for me and is an unfair point to take. I did not say in any of my comments that I support rape.
DeleteI didn't say I support Hayden's way at all. I just said that, "Hayden had to sacrifice his humanity to do what's right for humankind." I don't like Hayden's idea at all either. I'm saying that Hayden's idea was an extremist way of trying to save humanity. His society has succumbed to a savage like behavior though. They live in a society where there are no technology at all but the ideas of the "Tree."
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete"Hayden's society was a better solution for this type of situation with a dictatorship like rule. I know it seems harsh but having a democracy would have people arguing with each other on what act should be chosen when we need a leader at at time like this. "
DeleteSo you're telling me that a totalitarian government in which women are constantly raped, children are kidnapped, and religion is forced upon is better than the overall freedom in my society? If you're not happy with the way things are going in my society, you are allowed to leave. Not to mention if you don't follow Hayden's laws you are killed. If you don't support his methods then why defend his ideology? We know why he's leader since it's a game but if this was the real world I'm sure he wouldn't become a leader with this type of rule.
I'm not saying that I support Hayden's actions. He has become power-hungry and his abusing his power. What I'm trying to say is that I support the need for one leader in a time of crisis such as this. For example, the Romans used to give absolute power to a military ruler during times of emergency. Once the crisis has been eliminated or passed, we conevert back to a democratic rule. This is what I'm agreeing with. I condemn Hayden's actions 100%.
DeleteI'm actually surpised you haven't perished yet since 3/4 of your group has abandoned you. They either wanted to settle down in the middle of the desert with no food sources at all or wanted to help a crazed society to become civilized which probably won't work.
J think we should stop arguing about this topic. We're arguing about a point that's moot now since we both agree with the subject at hand. Hayden's rule has been corrupted with his own ego.
I'm known as "The Gambler Of Fate." Luck seems to always be on my side when it comes to gambling things. Taking risks is fun, especially since it is a game it doesn't affect me in real life.
DeleteDid Ms Fletcher not tell us to belittle or harass our peers Anthony? You just made Hayden look sexist. Maybe you shouldn't have commented.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat IS going on here? I just scanned this quickly, and all these deleted comments are troubling. Why don't you all go play Mean Zombie Apocalypse somewhere else?
ReplyDelete#rekt
Delete