I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What has Technology Done to Us

I've noticed that the three books we have been assigned to read have one thing in common and that is all the books is about technology's effect on the human race. The authors of the books that we are reading have foresaw that even though technology has advanced the human race it is slowly deteriorating our society. In the last chapter of Amusing Ourselves to Death Postman writes, "Introduce the alphabet to a culture and you change its cognitive habits, its social relations, its notions of community, history and religion. Introduce the printing press with movable type, and you do the same." So introduce us to the television and now the internet, we have made a change in everything. The proof can be seen when you study history. 

I have come to believe that technology is taking over our lives. There is an article that I have come across online where it shows their research on how social sites we go on are affecting our lives in ways we're not even bothering to notice anymore since it has become the norm to spend hours on our phones or computers. The results on being on the internet is not surprising but it makes you realize that we're spending way too much time on it. Before I went to the Philippines I was on my phone 24/7. I became one of those people who scroll on and on for hours. Sometimes when I need to do something, I just end up on my phone. However in the Philippines there is rarely any wifi so I experienced a few weeks without it. It is safe to say that I feel a whole lot better because I feel like I didn't waste my time on social media. In those few weeks, I've realized that I have become so dependent on the internet for everything that I'm trying to limit the hours I go online a week. I challenge you guys to stay off your phones and laptops for a day or two and see what happens.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2471463/Is-internet-ruining-LIFE-Study-finds-surfing-reduces-sleep-stops-seeing-friends-drops-work-output-25.html
Here is the article that I found online if you guys are interested in reading it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paula! I have also noticed this between Amusing Ourselves To Death, The Shallows, and Brave New World. All of the three books talk about how technology is changing our ways of living in a negative way. Personally, not being on my phone all the time helps me concentrate on the value of life. At first, my phone was only used for calling. Later on, it became more used for Instagram, Snapchat, etc. I'm glad that someone has also experienced what I have experienced as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement about how technology is taking over our lives. I dont think it's hard now a days to find technology wherever you go. Also I can relate to your story about the WiFi shortage in the Philippines. 2 years ago i went back to Vietnam and there were so little places where any forms of technology was available. It was such a shock to my system because at the time I was addicted to Facebook and just technology in general. In some areas the most advanced form of technology was simply a small TV displaying the static covered images of a soccer match. Staying off the radar proved to be really hard due to the fact that we're so comfortable with our technologically advanced world.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.