I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 8, 2014

Viewing Society In A Closer Perspective

           Hey guys! Reading Amusing Ourselves To Death made me reflect upon our modern day society and compare it to Postman's statements and theories in depth on another level. At first, it was difficult for me to focus on reading the material because of my distractions and my environment that I was in, in addition to the vocabulary that I wasn't quite used to. However, as I read along, it got easier for me, especially since the topic that he would write about would be in our everyday lives that is happening right outside of our windows. It's such a shock to me that although AOTD was written almost thirty years ago, it is currently happening as of today. 
          The most intriguing part is when Postman discusses how watching educational television shows and reading factual books differ entirely in what they imply about learning. Postman uses the show "Sesame Street" as an example. "Sesame Street" uses different techniques to try and educate children with the uses of puppets, celebrities, catchy tunes etc. While growing up watching this show, I never would have thought of all of the negative outcomes that would come along with just watching a normal children's show. Postman argues that "Sesame Street" undermines what the traditional ideal of schooling represents since a child cannot ask questions directly towards the television, socially interact with other children, or even focus on the development of language instead of image. He claims that this show does not encourage children to love school or anything about it, but encourages to love television. 
          So here's my question to you. If you were the parent of a child who loves television but realizing the consequences of it, would you allow it to continue? Why or why not? 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny! You've got a good question. I've actually though about this before. I was a TV kid as well. I mean I grew up living off of those shows. Being the sort of closed off person I am now, I don't want that to happen to my kids. As an only child growing up, I was very shy and my parents never really encourage me to interact. So I turned to the tv. But to think of the negative consequences, I would probably prod my children to go play outside rather than get hooked on to the tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a very valid point. I probably would not want this happening to my children as well and would do what you would plan to do in this situation. I'm glad that you answered my blog. I really appreciate it, Anvita!

      Delete
    2. What happens if the current ways of life fade away, and going outside becomes a thing of the past? You might feel as our parents do now about us. I can imagine the kids of the future saying, "Why are you making me go outside? No one goes there anymore, now all my friends go on the (future technology)!"

      Delete
    3. If that happened to be the case, then so be it. However, who knows what the future will bring us. Maybe it'd even have another alternative for children having to go outside and getting some fresh air. Thank you for bringing up that point, Robert.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm on the same page as Anvita. I wouldn't want my kids to hooked on television. I would rather them go outside and be active like most of the kids our age did when we were younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if there is no "going outside" when the future comes and there is only the television to have them entertained. Then what?

      Delete
    2. Well you can still do active things without going outside. Just cause you're inside all the time doesn't mean you have to be watching television. There are other ways to entertain them. Most likely I would cut off the television if they got hook on it

      Delete
  3. Considering my dad never really encouraged watching television, I was forced to play outside for a majority of my childhood. I believed that my dad was a tyrant (though i didn't know the meaning back then) for depriving me of television and doing what the other kids did. He had a good reason for his restriction and its benefits were justified in the experiences I had and the friendships I made with the neighborhood kids. I sometimes feel left out when other people my age talk about TV shows they extensively watched as a child, but I never regret the childhood I lived with a minimal amount of television in my life. So to answer you question Jenny, I would restrict my children from watching TV to some extent as my dad did to me so they would not lack the experiences that are essential to one's childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.