With one new blog post right after the other, I believe I should reflect off this summer homework.
Even though we originally had to obey to the homework demand and read the books Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman, The Shallows by Nicholas Carr, and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, I am glad it was these specific books we had to read. Before the assignment, I never really thought about the ideals expressed in these books. Every single one of them opened up my mind to raising new opinions and questions I never imagined I'd make on my own. Although each book put an emphasis on technology, it provided arguments to plenty of topics related to the primary focus of technology itself. Whether it was negative or positive, each author had written their books so concisely that I have recently found myself trying to decide whether I should do something else besides sit at my computer.
Out of all the books, I found Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman the most difficult to understand. The content was thorough, and many examples were given. In the end, Postman's book had influenced the way I view television and the social media as a whole. Whether it is the news or some amusing television program, Postman's argument would spark my mind every so often, leaving me to think deeply of the why instead of the what. The insight of The Shallows will serve as a basis for how I look for information on the web. Brave New World by Huxley will serve as an example of how I compare our society to what a so-called corrupt "utopian" society is.
In the end, these books have helped me realize the discourse of society and where it is headed due to technology. Hopefully, more people will read these books and join those who have realized the possibilities to where humanity is headed in the mere future.
The warnings these books give us are really important and should be given more attention. I agree that Postman's book was great. It made me think about why television is the way it is. It made me wish that we could travel back in time when public discourse was important and people were in a way "smarter". I'm glad that I've finally seen the terrible path where entertainment is taking us. That is somewhere I don't want to go, and I believe that if we as a group spread that message little by little, we can make a difference.
ReplyDelete