The man in this video claims that this network has been supplying their viewers with false information, just so their show can be more entertaining and get more views. While I understand these companies need views to get paid and stay on the air, is it really worth lying to your viewers and ruining the credibility of your network? I have posted the video below so you can judge for yourself. It would be sad to see a once educational channel shift over to become completely for entertainment.
Too lazy to watch? Highlight the empty space directly below this sentence for a summary.
Just watch the video you lazy bum
This is a very interesting subject as the Discovery Channel aired two different specials "proving" the existence of mermaids. The shows were meant as a hoax but they never provided a retraction until the credentials of the "specialists" were looked up and it was revealed they were all actors. I saw both shows and was not convinced but my brother and thousands of others were and many are probably still walking around today believing in the possibility of seeing Ariel by the ocean.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, that was captivating and excellent summary
ReplyDeleteYes it was, I definitely put all the effort I could into the summary.
DeleteHello, Robert! I really enjoyed watching the video you shared, (and a lot of the other videos made by the same channel, they're pretty interesting.) and I agree with you that deceiving the viewers of a TV channel doesn't sound right just to keep the channel afloat (Get it? Like, a boat? Like, Shark Week?) and on air, but, as expressed in AOTD, TV isn't as appealing to the masses if it leans toward education instead of entertainment.
ReplyDeleteA channel like the Discovery Channel that advertises itself to be a "nonfiction media company" really should hold itself to the standards of its viewers who are more interested in the migratory habits and behavioral patterns of the Carcharodon carcharias (Great White, for us simple folk) rather than fictitious documentaries about a prehistoric shark.
Thumbs up on the summary!
Haha, I'll admit, I laughed at your pun. I agree, they should keep true to their viewers, imagine if a cooking show just released a lion during filming to make it more entertaining. Although it would be VERY entertaining, the viewers come to see food, not to see someone being hunted by a lion.
DeleteNot to retract from your point but I would watch that show so much
DeleteNot even lying, I would watch that show also..
Delete