I heart xkcd
Art Project
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Reflection vs The Internet
Chapter Ten of The Shallows states "There is no Sleepy Hollow on the Internet, no peaceful spot where contemplativeness can work its restorative magic." Nicholas Carr, the writer of The Shallows, stated that there are not many places where people can reflect on their own thoughts and feelings because they are being bombarded by advertisements and various stimuli that have caused a person to stop thinking deeply and thoughtfully about what was just learned or read. A person, like me, could decided to watch one YouTube video but then cannot resist to click on another video because of an intriguing title and thumbnail. The Internet has been so good in luring in people into believing that we are actually learning when in reality, the Internet has given us the illusion that we are not learning but rather skimming and not remembering information. In fact, while I am writing this article, I cannot stop refreshing, checking notifications and emails, and endlessly scrolling on the Internet in a different tab. I think my brain could use some refreshing itself, to be honest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that we all need refreshing. But what are we willing to sacrifice to do it? Give up our phones, social networks, and internet? Probably not. The internet has become a black hole of distractions, and I can't agree with you more when you mentioned the "illusion".
ReplyDelete