Phones and tablets have become one of the most common tools for people today. It was once a luxury item that's evolved as a necessity. Just from anecdotal evidence, I've witnessed hundreds of people over the years always on their phones. I've seen children from my old elementary school group together and browse their phones in silence.
In fact, I have a friend who sets up the perfect example of what Postman says. Every time we hang out, he always manages to sneak a peek at his phone constantly. I've never noticed this before because I assumed this was a natural thing to do until I read these summer books. In response, I tried to let him know that he's become obsessed over his phone, but he tells me he isn't; he says,"I'm not always on my phone! Remember when we walked back to my house. I didn't have a phone then! I don't use my phone in the bathroom either!" This is a telling sign that he knows exactly when he doesn't use his phones, when it should be the exact opposite.
We've allowed phones and tablets to integrate into our culture now, a culture full of impatience and convenience. I love my phone just as much as anyone else does, but do you not find it annoying when your friend scrolls through his phone while you're talking to him? This is the moment now! Laws will be destroyed once the blog shuts down! Ode to horror!
I also notice people on their phones constantly. Sometimes its not with my friends but looking around at a restaurant I can see almost every single person on their phone's and not talking to each other. Its crazy how people become so distracted that they must check their phones every few minutes, ore even seconds. In Smarter Than You Think, Clive Thompson explains how, because of social media, offline conversations have changed, but people don't ever get offline.
ReplyDeleteThis is probably amplified by my lack of phone, but I absolutely hate when my friends look at their phones when we are spending time together. It is one of the top five most annoying things in the entire world. I totally see what you are talking about, though. I ask them to put it away, and they comply. In no more than a minute, they pop it back out and interrupt the flow of events. It is as if their phone is their IV station, and the substance is constant updates about other people’s business. Instead of talking to someone who is not there, they should talk to the person who is there. I entirely agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI know who that friend is considering I'm usually with him a lot. He actually DOES know he uses his phone a lot. He just says he doesn't just to mess around. You know the way he acts. Always playing around and never acting serious. To answer your question, I've never really had a problem when a friend is using their phone. As long as they are able to understand and pay attention to what I'm saying they could do what ever they like. It does get a bit annoying however when people are hanging out with friends and they tend to be the odd one out of the group because they are always on their phone rather than conversing with everyone else.
ReplyDelete