I heart xkcd
Art Project
Sunday, August 10, 2014
Land of the Print, Home of the Literate
After finishing chapter three of Amusing Ourselves to Death , I cannot help but gawk at the amount of copies that books such as Common Sense by Thomas Paine were printed- around hundreds of thousands! Compared to the current population, millions of copies would be needed to even get on the same level as Common Sense. Until now, I would have never imagined that people living in colonies in early America, especially the poor, would even be interested in reading novels at such a high rate. The fact that America was built by literate and very intellectual people, especially the founding fathers, makes me feel patriotic. I know it sounds silly to be patriotic about something that happened centuries ago, but how many people in different countries can say that even poor people had thousands of books to choose from. My guess? Not that many. Before I get even more carried away, it is important to know that print was the only form of communication at that time (except for talk, obviously) so it makes sense that with the aid of the printing press and imports from England there will be a grand amount of books and newspapers that were almost necessary in reading in order to partake in public discussions. Nonetheless, I find it very interesting and cool that from the beginning modern America was built by people who were intellectual. Unfortunately, now it seems that America's own unintelligent and foolish people will be the ones that will bring it down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First off, I must say... I like your caption :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. When I first read how many books were sold and the equivalence to how many that would be now, I was astonished. It's amazing how into reading people were then. Mostly because now, whenever I bring up any books name, all I here is, "Reading?.. Ew."
It's wonderful to know that we were brought up by such intellectuals, but as you said, our own people will be the ones to destroy what we have accomplished.
"Unfortunately, now it seems that America's own unintelligent and foolish people will be the ones that will bring it down."
ReplyDeleteThis is really ironic. Today, I told my dad that there were an estimated 52 students left attempting to get in AP English. Then he started this whole lecture saying how one of the reasons America is falling behind against other countries is due to laziness - many teenagers are too lazy to push themselves. At the English meeting, I remember seeing the room overflowing with students. Where did they all go? Like Destiny said, many people today would rather do other activities than reading.
I've noticed all the people dropping out too. I remember the room was so crowded, people were standing outside trying to listen. Many of my friends are dropping the class because they haven't started reading and they don't want too. It's sad because they're really smart but they'd rather spend their summer doing other activities. They'd rather watch TV or spend time with friends or be online. .
DeleteWhat would the founding fathers think of our nation if they could see it now? This idea of America's founders coming back from the dead has been on my mind all day. I find myself thinking about what Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson would say about our new inventions, styles, clothing, food, traditions, books, slang, and technologies. What a disappointment we must seem to be. Politicians are elected by looks and charisma. Our news is often irrelevant and pointless because there is nothing we can do to change it. Books are valued less, looks are valued more, and technology is a real addiction that has ensnared many of us. What has happened to our Founding Father's beautiful nation, and will we ever return to their Age of Exposition?
ReplyDeleteI actually have not thought about that kaila but I agree with you. If our founding fathers were to somehow awake from the dead they would probably be disappointed. Then again they would also see all the advances we've come to and be proud yet they wouldn't be proud of the way people are addicted to technology and the way things on the news are "irrelevant and pointless" like you say. Everything is about image and it shouldn't be that way. No one can pay attention long enough to hear what anyone has to say they just judge based on looks. I also agree with you when you say books are valued less because it's true people would rather skim a webpage than read a whole book. So what happened to the great nation that was founded long ago?
DeleteHi Patty! Kaila's comment was on point.Basically said everything I was going to say haha
ReplyDelete