It's my birthday, Everybody! (It was Hayden's yesterday, so happy birthday, Hayden!) Anyway, I'm 57 today, and I'm leaving in about 2 hours to meet my book club homies in Palm Desert, where we sit around the pool during the coolest part of the day and talk about life and literature. (The rest of the time, we're in an air-conditioned condo draped over the furniture and sprawled on the floor like Salvidor Dali paintings, talking and noshing.) I've been reading with these friends since 2002 -- we've read nearly 150 books together. Maybe more. We haven't counted them up lately.
Anyway, I have your notebooks, as you probably saw in my earlier post, and today is the last day for the blog. Our blog closes (temporarily) at midnight tonight. I will not be paying (much) attention to the blog or to your notebooks until Monday.
I want to publicly discourage any of you from junking up the blog with nonsense. I mean, a bit of foolishness here and there helps relieve stress, yes. But a relentless barrage is annoying.
But I've checked all the notebooks in, and compared the notebook list to the blog list. There are a few discrepancies, and a few people who gave me beautiful notebooks will do all of their blogging today. Don't judge. Everybody has their story, and it is not up to you to decide what any of this means. I am working with a few people, trying to get everything figured out.
Our deal is this: do the work, get a seat in the class. What happens to someone else has NO bearing on your status. If you have done the work, I will not drop you even if your work is far below my expectations. Everybody comes to me with different levels of experience. Some of you may have written 8-9 essays last year. Some of you may have written 3-4. I have no idea. So again, don't judge. I am willing to work with anyone who tries hard and does the work required to improve their thinking, their reading, and their writing.
For all I know at this point, some of those notebooks can be incomplete. I will figure that out on Monday and Tuesday, and give my final list to the counselors on Tuesday or Wednesday. You will receive a mass email from me when I get the list finalized. It looks like we'll have about 61 people, split between two classes -- so about half of those who showed up to the summer homework meeting. This is how it always goes. Really great people dropped the class for their own reasons, so you also have to avoid thinking that an AP class has all of the elite students. That is just not true. There are talented kids who are not taking the class.
Anyway, I gotta go pack my bag. I invite anyone who has a question to pose it here in the comment section. If you happen to know the answer to someone's question, answer them! I'll be reading you casually in the desert (on my iPad), and will back in my seat and working on Monday.
Finish up your summer homework for your other classes! And try to have some fun in the waning days of summer vacation. Go outside and study a bug. Count clouds, or go stick your feet in the ocean. Enjoy my birthday!
PS. Nobody has ever mentioned the xkcd comics in the header. Why?
Happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteFor me, the reason I don't mention the xkcd comics is that I also read them and follow them actively. I've actually already seen every comic you've posted all summer.
For a birthday present, would you rather have Green Apple or Strawberry Hi-Chew?
Happy Birthday!!! Have a great time in Palm Desert!!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday ! Have a wonderful day !:)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday.
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D I wish you nothing but the best and have fun in Palm Desert! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! I wish your year is filled with lots of exciting books to read! :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. I hope you have a fantastic time with your book homies.
ReplyDeleteThank You
ReplyDeleteand Happy Birthday to you too! :)
Happy belated birthday, Hayden!!!
DeleteYeah Happy belated Birthday! :)
DeleteHappy Belated Birthday, Haydon.
DeleteSorry for the late Happy Birthday, Hayden! I hope you had a great birthday.
DeleteHappy Birthday! :)
ReplyDeleteI know this is getting pretty repetitive, but Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteMs. Fletcher Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your birthday and my sisters ;) it's her birthday aswell, she's turning 10. Have fun with your friends!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Ms. Fletcher! Have a great time with your homies :)
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVzIGMqRznk
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! Hope you have a great time. Thanks for all that you do for your AP kids!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! You just broke your personal record of years without dying
ReplyDeleteHappy 25th birthday Ms. Fletcher
ReplyDeleteBirthdays are fun. I like birthdays.
DeleteAlso David, I'd like to ask if you use glasses. Because she obviously said she was turning 57 in her post.
DeleteI have to agree with Anthony. After reading your comment multiple times, I've tried analyzing what you meant by 25th birthday. Did she have her 25th anniversary teaching? Was it your word play for celebrating Mrs.Fletcher's birthday with her book homies for the 25th time? I kept on contemplating on what you meant. I lost sleep over thinking about your meaning until it hit me... Did you make a typo?
DeleteJeez! He's saying she looks young. Get with the program!!!
DeleteHow old exactly does Ms. Fletcher look to you Hayden? I'm curious as to what your answer may be. I'd also like to know if you have a visual impairment of any sort?
DeleteI would try to get with the program but I'm just thinking that 25 is a completely huge numerical difference from what Mrs.Fletcher said how old she is.
DeleteThank you Hayden. <3 You are right!
DeleteI didn't actually know David that you DID have a visual impairment. I sincerely apologize. (#sorrynotsorry) You might want to put your glasses back on though and take another look.
DeleteDid Ms. Fletcher not state in the beginning that we aren't supposed to harass or belittle each other. If you don't agree or understand what David wrote then that's fine. But there's no need to be rude. He's just trying to be nice to Ms. Fletcher and you're making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI'm sorry Jocelyn I did not mean to bring out any bad blood what so ever. David I'm sorry also. Will you continue to be sarcastic with me, be my friend, hang out with me everyday, and talk about random things? David I hope you don't end up carrying a grudge over this because after all, we do joke around like this all the time.
DeleteI'm sorry for what I said, but David knows we were just playing around with him. We're all friends and I'm sorry that it seemed like we harassed him.
DeleteWhy are you guys apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong. Anyone could tell that you were being sarcastic. lol.
DeleteWell I guess not anyone.
DeleteI took no offense guys. It's cool.
DeleteHappy Birthday :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!!!
ReplyDelete