I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, August 11, 2014

Is Technology Changing Us For the Better or Worse?

     I have been thinking about this for a long time and this question constantly kept popping up in my mind as I continue the readings. Is technology making us better or worse as a society? When I think about it, when we were younger at parties we would be active and run around playing games like tag or something. However when I go to parties now, I see little kids just sitting playing on their iPads or playing video games. Has technology affected the next generation where they can barely be active or even talk to each other.

     Technology has even affected us on how we interact with each others. For example, when I'm hanging out with friends or even family the majority of the time we are using some type of electronic device. Even if I forget my phone or it runs out of battery I become really upset. Without my phone, I don't feel the same as if I was missing a part of myself. I know it sounds weird but I think just like many others, I have become attached to my phone.  

     Don't get me wrong. Technology is very helpful in all types of way that makes our lives better. I'm just wondering if the benefits and advantages of having technology outweighs the cost of losing the ability to interact with others without the use of technology. Just curious to see what other people think.

7 comments:

  1. Admitting to having been dragged into the technological world myself, it really has affected how we interact with others. Humans have been amazed by the LED screens and "qwerty" keyboards used for multiple purposes. Phones, televisions, computers, and more aren't the only things pulling individuals into modern technology. Accessories for phones such as cases, wireless keyboards and mice for computers, and more are metaphorically the "toppings" or "seasonings" for the "food", in this case technology, we are hungry for. Yes, technology is helpful, but observing the cultural change from pencils to keyboards (including digital), from verbal speaking to cyber messaging, and more is one interesting topic to watch develop over many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a excellent point. I am sure a majority of people have been pulled into a world where technology is used every day and is important. But do you think all of the helpful technology is making our society better or worse?

      Delete
    2. I believe that it depends on how we perceive the parts of society affected by technology. On one end, technology is helpful for supplying rapid communication throughout society. For example, a job of shipping exports and imports benefits from the rapid communication supplied by our technological advances. However, another part of depicting whether it makes our society better or worse counters the fact of rapid communication. This rapid communication through technology "takes away" the face-to-face interaction among people. Even though we do have programs such as random webcam chats and the common FaceTime, it necessarily does not supply the emotion of meeting them in person.

      These aren't the only arguments among whether "technology is making our society better or worse", but I do not want to fulfill the chance for others to provide their input on the topic.

      Delete
  2. I think there are many negative and positive outcomes from technology. On my own I've been able to see a lot of the negative outcomes affecting me and the people around me. Everyone spends so much time on their devices and the Internet. I agree with you that technology has made kids less sociable and active and it worries me to think of what they will be when they grow up. Even though there are these negatives you still have to give technology credit for making a lot of medical advancements and scientific discoveries. Long distance communication has also increased dramatically not only by phone but with video chat. Those are just some of the positives I can list and I have to say I'm leaning more on the side that technology is more helpful than distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to the big picture and whether or not technology has made a generally better or worse impact on our society, I believe that my response will be biased in favor of technology because of how entrenched it is in today's society and culture (and our life, I mean, this discussion is taking place because of technology); however, if you were to look only at how technology has made an impact on social interactions in today's society, then technology can't really be looked upon in the same light.

    I agree with you, Avram, that the absence of my phone in any social interaction, be it a party, dinner, etc., unsettles me and makes me feel "disconnected", but at the same time, a phone can keep you in contact with individuals you don't normally interact with in person on a daily basis. Now, the argument can be made that you don't see someone on a daily basis because you're so focused in on technology, but that broadens the entire discussion.

    In conclusion, I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. Technology gives us the option to become more social by making it more convenient to contact more people, yet sometimes, we choose not to be and use it to shelter ourselves from the immediate world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology is changing our society mainly for the worse. Although it can be good when connecting with family from out of town or as Daria said, for scientific advancements and discoveries, for the most part it is making our society less sociable. So many people rather stay in and play video games or watch mindless youtube videos, than to go outside and enjoy nature or be with family. When people, including me, have friends over they turn to their phones or television for entertainment. It is so much easier to entertain and live with technology. Therefore, although I can't imagine a world without technology, I would have to say technology is having a worse impact on our society and the ability to have human interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your question is quite valid. There is a line between better and worse and technology in my opinion seems to wander on both sides. Needless to say many of us not only enjoy but depend on our technology. Funny enough we're using it right now for the purpose of these blogs. However I can relate to your observations. Almost everywhere I go someone regardless of their age is on a mobile device. I notice that many social interactions involve someone being on their phone. However I cant divide myself from these individuals because I use my phone much too often even in social situations. I don't think your question has a right answer. The subject isn't black and white in my opinion but simply a large grey area.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.