I heart xkcd
Art Project
Monday, August 18, 2014
Instant Gratification In Our Society
I noticed that, for the people in Brave New World, there was an obsession with the instant gratification and happiness that the "soma" gave to them. This is similar to us, in that we crave this gratification in our internet, social media, and everyday life. Everything we do is done for the happiness we'll feel afterwards. We have become the generation that is obsessed with instant rewards, to the point where we don't really care what the effects of the rewards may be. What are we paying just to go online? According to Carr, the price is the natural workings of our very brains. And even after reading his cautionary book, are we going to stop? Of course not, going online brings on too much instant gratification for us to do so. And how would we stop, if we are already hardwired to be obsessed with the internet and other kinds of technology? In this way, we are just one step closer to the World State predicted in Huxley's book, and we are fulfilling the prophecy set up by Postman in Amusing Ourselves to Death. The worst part: we are just passively accepting this. This is what shocks me the most. Though a few have attempted to point out the problems with our society and gratification, they are almost always drowned out by the majority. Perhaps we should listen a little bit more to the minority, so that we can see where we are going, and what our future may spell for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I've noticed this also. The internet has been a crutch for the majority of us simply because of the ease it takes to to type out a question and get an answer. Our "soma" is certainly the internet. How many times have we gotten sad or depressed so we go on the internet to relive this stress? I've done this one too many.
ReplyDeleteAt first, I thought, "Pssh, no, I don't get INSTANT gratification!" Then, After I turned in my AP environmental science homework and thought, "Man, that was a lot of stress. I'll go on the internet." This thought brought me to a full stop. I realized, I really was counting on the internet to whisk me away. I NEEDED it. I had my tumblr, YouTube, and episodes of my favorite anime to check on! How could I live without this. And, after watching two rather amusing YouTube videos, I felt instantly entertained. I felt fulfilled, yet I still thought, "Juuuuuuust one more." Now, I feel I truly am amusing myself to death.
ReplyDelete