I am reading Brave New World and as soon as I finished the first chapter, I knew that this book was going to be about the consequences of living in a "perfect" society. This is ironic because the world that they live in would actually be viewed as immoral by people today. Everyone seems to be happy, but it's only because they are designed that way and because they constantly consume soma. Everyone also seems to lack individuality because they are made in pairs. Huxley's purpose for writing this book is to show what our world could become, and persuade us to not become this way.
I believe that one of the themes in this book is individuality. An example of this would be Bernard's way of thinking. In part one of chapter six Bernard takes Lenina out on a helicopter ride and while Lenina suggests going out to a club and dinner, Bernard just wants to walk and talk to her. He is different from the rest of the society, and although it leads him to disappointment, he doesn't realize that he is one of a kind. If he were to be put in our world today, he would fit in perfectly because in reality everyone is different. When Bernard meets John, they get along perfectly because they both share the feeling of solitude and individuality. Later in the book it's obvious that Bernard's motive is to just fit in the new world, but John wants to change it by freeing the people from enslavement. Huxley message is not to just fit in, it's to stand out and change the world.
-Jocelyne Vasquez
I thought the same thing about Huxley's message. In the book I feel he stresses being different in this perfect society because we are not perfect we are human and we are all different in our own unique way. I personally I enjoy Bernard in the book and how in a society of so many like minded people ,he still chooses to think differently.
ReplyDelete