I found it extremely sad how women were treated in the so called " futuristic utopian" society in Brave New World. Women were sex objects in the World State and they seemed perfectly okay with this, because they were raised with society not only accepting it but encouraging it. Women in the story had open relationships with multiple guys at once, doing so was normal. Men held the upper power and could get any girl they wanted.
While reading I thought about how women have been treated badly in our past and how, finally, they were granted equal rights, at least in American. It's discouraging to see that in the book, humanity backtracks to women being treated so harshly again. I just don't understand how men could be so rude to other women and let their stupid sexual desires get the best of them. Women are very important to our society and deserve to be treated with the up most respect.
Women have grown in today's society to being equal to men. Having the same rights and being able to express themselves. Some men are disrespectful to women and take no consideration for how they feel. Of course in Brave New World the women are adept to such treatment and accept it a normal. I don't think this is an okay thing and should never be allowed to happen.
The treatment of women in the World State of Huxley's novel was indeed disrespectful compared to our society. Yes, plenty of men are "disrespectful to women and take no consideration for how they feel", but even women of the World State are not susceptible to the knowledge that they are being treated unequally in the sense of morality. Imagine if our real world shared that supposed norm. Imagine if our minds did not realize the context of the unequal treatment. From my view, that would be what I can say as "scary", due to the fact it would be a complete change from what we are used to.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say that women were treated harshly, since they were accepting of it. They wanted to sleep around and have sex with as many men as possible, as that was what they were raised for. Can you believe that? Children, eight or nine years of age, practicing sex. That's absolutely disgusting. But they did not know any better because they were conditioned.
ReplyDeleteWhile we find breastfeeding completely normal, Linenda found it an indecent act. This sounds strange to us, as we consider her a whore. However both Linenda, and we ourselves were raised with certain standards and beliefs.
I agree with you Trevin. Women were truly disrespected and treated like sexual objects. However, as I thought about this, I also kept thinking about how Huxley exaggerated traits of our society for this novel. During Huxley's time, women were also treated like sex objects, and they were fine with that. It's good that today things have changed, and women are treated with respect and equal to men. Hopefully our society won't go back to those ideas of disrespect for women.
ReplyDelete