I really encourage you to watch this and think about what this tells us about some of the people in our society. And before you judge these fans too harshly, remember that the majority of us have our own version of their Justin Bieber. After all, for me, Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence can break the law any time they want. Personally, while this video was funny to watch, it really sends a message about how blind we become when we get distracted by the media. We are so in love with the image on screen, that we don't notice who these people really are when they're not getting paid to smile at us. I guess I'm trying to justify this post by saying it's relevant because it connects to Postman's idea that our obsession with, sometimes, useless "entertainment" is destroying us. This video definitely supports that theory.
I heart xkcd
Art Project
Sunday, August 3, 2014
What's happening to us???
I really encourage you to watch this and think about what this tells us about some of the people in our society. And before you judge these fans too harshly, remember that the majority of us have our own version of their Justin Bieber. After all, for me, Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence can break the law any time they want. Personally, while this video was funny to watch, it really sends a message about how blind we become when we get distracted by the media. We are so in love with the image on screen, that we don't notice who these people really are when they're not getting paid to smile at us. I guess I'm trying to justify this post by saying it's relevant because it connects to Postman's idea that our obsession with, sometimes, useless "entertainment" is destroying us. This video definitely supports that theory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You mentioned my post! I feel famous! Thank you for taking your time to read it Lina. Also I read this semi-post and watched the video and I couldn't believe how blind those fans were. Man I had some hope for our generation, but now I'm not so sure. I mean how many other kids and young adults are out there that act like those girls in the video?
ReplyDeleteHey Ariel! Yes, I mentioned your post because you made a very good point, and I kind of just had to expand on it. And yes, it's surprising how many people are willing to look the other way when it comes to celebrities just because of this perfect image they have of them in their heads. It's scary, and it's not right. Some people will just brush this off as young teenage girls obsessed with a decent looking celebrity, but we need to realize that it's much more than that. They're blinded by the lies they hear in the media, so they practically worship him. "He's like God." In what religion? Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to watch the video and respond!
DeleteAll I could think while watching this was, "What has this world come to?" Why should we kiss the ground on which Justin Bieber walks on?... We should only do that for Beyoncé...Just kidding (not really). But watching this video really amazed me on how blind we are. It's gotten to a point where its okay for baby seals to be used as tires... The fact that the older man in the video was siding with those girls just shows that it's not only our generation ... I agree with Ariel ... what is happening to us?
ReplyDeleteHey Destiny! It was pretty bad wasn't it? And they don't even realize that something is wrong with the way they're thinking. And yes, Beyoncé, is amazing. (You are so lucky you got to go to her concert omg...) Anyway, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! What if this was Beyoncé?? Many of us would be saying the same things these fans are saying! And yes, it doesn't seem to be limited to age or gender (although a good 95% of those girls had braces), which shows that this can happen to everyone. So yeah, it's pretty scary, and I'm really glad you took the time to respond. Thank you!
DeleteHi Lina! I have seen this video before but I never really focused on the fact that we are so easily hypnotized by what we read and see in the media whether it be the truth or in this case a lie. I used to worry for the next generation to come but it seems that even people of an older generation are swayed by the powers of the media. It is scary to think that some people out there think celebrities are allowed to live on their very own set of rules because they believe they are the "king of pop." I just hope some of us catch a grip on reality.
ReplyDeleteHey Melissa! I had a similar experience. I watched it for the first time about a year ago, and at the time, it was hilarious! I thought nothing more of it until I read Ariel's post and remembered that some random Justin Bieber fan out there thought it was okay that he was illiterate as long as he was good looking. While the video is pretty funny, it's also a much needed eye opener to the problems with today's youth. Thank you so much for responding, and I'm glad that you saw it differently this time around!
DeleteEntertainment shows you what you want to see. Entertainment does not show all those people who said that Justin shouldn't be using baby seals as tires because that is not what people want to hear. 100 people could have said that baby seals as tires is bad but television will only show you the five or six who kiss the ground Justin walks on. What I am trying to say by this is don't be so pessimistic because there is another side to the story that is not being shown.
ReplyDeleteHey David! I'm actually really glad that you took a different perspective on this, and you're very right! I'm sure there were people at the concert that stood up for what was right and didn't give in to the pressure of choosing the celebrity over the law, but just the fact that there were even a few people who felt this strongly about Justin that they'd let him get away with stuff like this was what surprised and scared me. There shouldn't be a single person who looks at anyone like that (although there are thousands of people like that in our world). And I like the whole "Entertainment shows you what you want to see," idea because I think you hit on one of the main ideas of the summer homework (in my opinion at least). The media can be manipulative, and it can misguide us and cause us to see things differently than they really are. Anyway, while I still stand by my opinion of the video, I honestly do appreciate you giving yours because it gives a very good look at the other side of the story and reminds us that not all people are as blinded as the people on this video! Thanks for your time and your response!
Delete