I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hello my fellow classmates, as I was on twitter I came across this video that I wanted to share with all of you. I wanted to inform you that it does contain explicit material that can offend some viewers.
s-un-rise.tumblr.com/post/93902348218/sprouttling-se4h4ven-l-onelyhearted

I whole heartedly agree with what this video portrays. It talks about how many hours a day we spend using electronics. The fastest way to get a message to someone is through technology however, it is not what they say it, it is how they say it. For example, the video discusses capitalism and the exploitation of a woman's body to sell products. Why are women targeted? Why are women insecure? The answer is... television and its message about women which lowers our self value and worth. Once we hit our teens we become more insecure about how we look and lose interest on what we should become. The reason behind all of this is social media. One example is the movie "Mean Girls". This movie depicts how someone can become insecure about themselves and conform to the stereotypical "rich girl" that has the car, clothes, boyfriend, and money. Although it is a movie it can still have an effect on girls today. We should be focused on our goals and what we should become in life and hold our head high. We can't let the media create this image of what we should be.

The video also says technology shapes our society, politics, and the children. If this is having such a huge impact on our lives, why not put forth something positive? We shouldn't degrade one another but strive to lift each other up and be a positive influence.

I hope you all can see where this video and I are coming from. I look forward to your responses.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but shake my head in disgust because everything in this video was so appalling . Of course, I've noticed the use of women in commercials and advertisements. It's disgusting and very disrespectful that men see us as some type of prop and I completely agree with young women gaining their insecurities from the media.
    What really freaked me out was the fact that our government is only chosen by 6% of the countries population. As the lady said in the video, no wonder why we are in so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video is so true! It is horrible that young girls are taught that to be beautiful is to be valuable when in reality, every girl is beautiful. In my opinion, women are never given enough credit they deserve. Part of it is because there are actually women who don't respect themselves enough so they advertise with their half naked bodies for the whole world to see. Because of this reason, I can understand why men see women as objects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This video sadly was not as shocking as I thought it would be, if you look at todays television commercials you see half naked women advertising burgers. The more young girls see these vulgar commercials the more they strive to become societies view on "beautiful". It is scary to think home much television impacts a girl's view on herself. It shows us that we need change.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.