Hello fellow peers out there!
I have been reading Clive Thompson's novel, Smarter Than You Think, which does not only focus on the negative effects of our new digital tools but also on the positive. Thompson conveys that our new tools are constantly distracting us with new material and is making it harder to concentrate on important tasks. Also, instead of relying on the Internet as a source of information, we should take the time to ponder over certain concepts because we are being deprived of creativity. On the other hand, what caught my interest is the fact that the Internet is amplifying our memory, improving cognition, and forming our new literacies. We are able to easily communicate and express our ideas to the world. Together, this culture is reaching higher levels of complexities and increasing collaboration. Unlike Amusing Ourselves to Death, this novel elucidates how technology is changing our minds for the better. I have come to the conclusion that technology can be useful and important to society, but it can alter thought processes if it's relied on too much. What conclusions or thoughts have you guys formed from reading these books?
I agree with what your saying Taureece. When I first read Amusing Ourselves to Death I thought very negatively about technology because it seemed like we would never be able to concentrate or get things done. Then when I read Smarter Than You Think, I realized that technology is what makes us who we are today. We need it for quick communications to make a difference in this world.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to specifically take a side when it comes to technology. There's good things and bad things. When I look around and see everyone on their cellphones I see it as a bad thing, but when I see the world becoming a better place, I see it as a good thing.