I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Entertainmentception? (yes, I know that's not a word, but it sounds cool)

As we read these stimulating and mind boggling books, we can't help but think of these various ways of entertainment and just how we have been using these technologies. Just the other day, I sat down, and began watching videos on YouTube published by the famous YouTuber, PewDiePie. He publishes videos of himself as he plays various games and reacts to them. It suddenly hit me as I watched his video. I am sitting in my room, being entertained by someone being entertained. A simple yet mouth-gaping MIND BLOW. And, in the case of some of his other videos, I am also being entertained by him being entertained by his character, such as Deadpool, being entertained. What is the point of this? Why do I bother watching someone play a game, when I could just go out and buy the game myself? Shouldn't I get more entertainment out of the game directly if I was the one controlling it? Well, the answer to this is both a yes and a no. Yes, I am sure I would get way more fun out of playing the game myself, but, no, since I actually really love his reactions and, usually, I can't actually get the game. I either don't have the system, the money, or the maturity rating to play the game. Most of the older generation would say, "Then don't bother at all! Why waste time WATCHING others doing it when YOU could be doing it?" Of course, this had a bit of a reverse effect on me since I was inspired to do this! Not play the game, but film myself playing the game. (I haven't yet, by the way). I digress, I'll get back to my point. My point is that this young adult is the number one most subscribed person on YouTube because he entertains BY BEING ENTERTAINED. What is it about another person's reaction that is so particularly amusing? As I thought about this, I tried to remember other times when I was amused by someone else's reaction to something. Then, I thought of watching a movie that I had already seen with my friend who hadn't seen it. I found myself constantly glancing at her and barely paying attention to the movie, hoping to get a glimpse of her thoughts and ideas on the film. I realized, reactions how important and enticing reactions were. They were funny because you KNEW the person. You could try to guess their thoughts or what they would think at this point. Seeing what others feel gives us all a sensation that's hard to forget, and I believe that is why react-videos have been so successful. Of course, this is only my opinion and theory. What's yours?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, DEADPOOL. Now, yes, of course someone else's entertainment can be your entertainment as well. You've realized that certain things are contagious, like yawning, compassion, rudeness, and laughter. The human brain wants to fit in, and so it naturally conforms to others by emulating their emotions. This is why Poods and the other YouTubers that just post reactions to things are so successful in making us laugh. We want to laugh with them. We want to feel like we're with them. (all opinion)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.