I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Entertaining Superbowl Commercials

          Commercials have become more and more unrelated to their main purpose of informing audiences about the uses of a product as Postman argues.  They are expressed in a format that uses the call for attention to inspire the basis of their composition.  Whenever Superbowl Sunday comes around, I don't pay much attention, but I always hang around by the TV to watch the commercials.  Aware of the viewer amount on such a day, the commercials for the Super Bowl always tend to be on the extreme side in terms of humor or bewilderment.  They attempt to catch the attention of those already watching and even possibly lure in those who wouldn't usually find interest in the product they are aiming to advertise.  Their sole purpose of entertainment takes away from the meaning of the product and what it is used for.  

         Personally I am always bored with car commercials and never find interest in the different models of cars that appear on my television screen.  During the Super Bowl, however, not only do I watch the car commercials with interest, but I feel convinced that the car on the screen is one that I would consider buying some day.  A whole back story is provided in the advertisement that is totally unrelated to the sufficiency or reliability of the vehicle itself.  The writers of the commercials tend to portray the owner of the vehicle in the commercial as being someone that its audience strives to become and gives the viewer the idea that with the purchase of the car, they too could be like the character in the commercial.  Though I do get entertained by commercials, I cannot admit to ever watching one that has truthfully given me enough information to feel confidence in what I am buying.  Commercials have turned purely into an imaginary world that has reduced people into blindly purchasing products that were basically lied about on television.  I do not believe I am the only one who has fallen into the trap of a commercial and I know that during the next Superbowl Sunday I will again fall victim to the highly entertaining advertisements.  

5 comments:

  1. This is one of the best examples I've heard on this blog. I can honestly say I also fall victim to these commercials every year. When I first turn on the television to watch the Super Bowl I'm quite interested in the game at first but when those first round of commercials come on I find myself looking forward to them more than the game itself. (Especially the halftime performances). By the fourth quarter of the game I've lost interest in football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a person that occasionally watches football, watching the commercials from Super Bowl Sunday makes me enjoy the commercials more than football itself. It's sad to say, but society enjoys funny entertainment rather than serious. I am a victim of this. People are willing to spend thousands of dollars making these "funny commercials" to entertain us. All in all, your point is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I completely agree with you that the commercials can sometimes be very convincing. They also make the person feel as though they will become just like the person on the screen. There is one car commercial that always makes me laugh because this girl is running by and she stops by this car and gives the guy inside her number just because of the car he has. I am pretty sure no girl would do that. Stranger danger! Either way I guess some guys will fall for it thinking girls will automatically fall all over them and really notice them because of the car they have. Keep dreaming guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most simple yet perfect post I've seen. I actually love watching football so the Super Bowl commercials are a bonus. But I will say that the commercials do in fact make me more excited to watch the game because I know I'll get a good laugh from them. I think it was last year, they showed a commercial for the pretzel M&Ms and they looked so good so my brother and I just HAD to go buy some! So I'm a victim of how commercials influence you to buy things.... they were good by the way. I wasn't lied to by the producers haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have fallen victim to enjoying the commercials than the actually Super Bowl. It is sad to me that people look forward to watching the commercials more than the actual game. Even though they are very entertaining and funny, it distracts us from the whole point of gathering together and watch football. Amazing how television has found a way to entertain viewers in anyway possible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.