I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 8, 2014

eBooks Vs Real Books

     Yesterday, I wanted to finish reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, but it was late at night (early morning actually, but I count anything before 5 AM as night), and I was unable to turn on the lights; neither do I have the eBook version to read on my tablet.  Desperate, I went to the bathroom and started taking pictures of every page for a chapter, and made my own "eBook".  This just shows how versatile technology can be in some situations.
     
     Anyways, this brings me to my point.  Will the physical book die out and be replaced by eBooks?  Personally, I think this will happen; however, it won't be in the near future, maybe 211 years from now.  Books will not be destroyed, but the production of paper books will come to a stop.  When I thought about the pros and cons for each item, I couldn't think of many for the physical book.  I don't have any preferences between the two, so I don't think my arguments will be biased.  The only positive attributes for the real book that I could think of are that it does not require any outside factor (electricity/internet) other than light.  Maybe it doesn't even need light, if you're like a bat or something.

     On the other hand, the eBook generates its own light, and can hold a vast amount of books and info.  Being lightweight and small, it can be taken anywhere without hassle.  Even braille eBooks will be available in the future.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille_e-book  The only downside to these electronics is that they require energy and are sensitive to the elements, but how long is it until inventors come up with solar powered, waterproof electronics?  In the far future these electronics will be (insert anything here) powered and everything proof.

      I may have missed a lot of details, but for the most part, I think my argument is accurate.  What are your predictions on the future of books?

Hi Sherlock Holmes ಠ_ಠ (I doubt anyone will find this)

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your argument, Robert. It is scary, however, to think that physical copies of books and magazines will one day be obsolete. I can just imagine thousands or maybe even fewer than a thousand years from now there will be archives and museums dedicated to just physical copies of books of all colors, paper backed and hard covered. I don't own an eBook personally, and I have always preferred reading novels on paper. There is something comforting about being in a library surrounded by paper books that I don't think I would ever feel with eBooks. However, you have brought up a great point about how convenient it is to have an eBook. They are much lighter than actual paper books, and they can store an exceptional amount of books. eBooks are tremendous examples of how technology can become a positive rather than negative in society. People are still reading the same material on an eBook than if they were reading it on a physical copy. It is just that now, eBooks have become more handy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the book will end up like vinyl records. There will always be collectors and enthusiasts -- too many people love the tangible book. I spent my day finishing Postman on the beach, and although it got wet and sandy, I used my paper-and-glue book. But I love ebooks. I love having dozens of books I've read, that I am in the middle of, or that I want to read, right there in my purse. As long as I remember to plug that thing in, I never am worried about being stuck anywhere without anything to read. (I did have the thing poop out right in the middle of an important scene one time, and it killed me. I do believe I cursed.) Ebook allow me to carry poetry around with me. I have reference material with me. I have all kinds of things to read with me all of the time as long as I have my tablet. It's awesome.

    But sometimes I read a book that I love so much that I wish that I had a paper copy. I just read The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd as an ebook, and I am so sad that I don't have a paper copy. I want to flip through it, re-read certain passages, and that is not nearly as easy or as fun with an ebook.

    The title of this post is ebook v. real book. Isn't an ebook real?

    And why is it "v"? Why can't it be "and"? They both have their place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, eBooks are real books, and true, they both have their own rightful place in today's world. Maybe I should have changed the title to something like "The Old and The New", since the point of this post was to see the effects of newer technology in relation to older technologies with the same use.

      Delete
  3. Robert your argument is very true. I have a tablet which I use very often for games, the internet, a couple books, some magazines, and pretty much anything. Specifically what I want to say is about a magazine that I am subscribed to for the physical copy and the digital copy, Popular Science. I love science and everything about it, so usually I read both copies, digital and physical, just to make sure I don't miss anything. One thing about the digital copy that I really like is that it is interactive. For example, I am reading an article about humanoid robots and it give me a link to click where I can watch a video of one in action to see how it works and to learn more. Obviously this could not be possible with a physical copy, which makes the digital copy more useful and sort of more valuable. Things like this will certainly lead to the decline physical books, magazines, and things alike as technology which can replace them becomes more easily available to all people. I don't think that this kind of change is bad at all. I personally would be completely fine with this change, but like you said this would probably not even come close in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting argument you bring up Robert. I myself like having the actually book in my hands while I'm reading instead of reading it on a tablet or phone. I'm so used to reading with an actual book it doesn't feel the same and many other people feel the same way I do. However I do believe that we will transition from reading off a book to reading using electronic devices because of the many advancements in technology. It would take a little bit of getting used to but on the flipside we would be saving trees wouldn't we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point, Robert. I agree with you and I definitely think that the physical book will die out a bit, but it will probably never come to a complete stop (at least not anytime soon.) Just like with music, hardly anyone really buys physical copies anymore and most people find it easier to just go to iTunes and download music. I still like physical albums, but I feel like they will turn into collector's items and music will start being released straight to digital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too often wonder what will happen to books when we start replacing them with iPads and Kindles. I think they will be some sort of a luxury to own or has Ms.Fletcher put it, become part of a person's vintage collection. Don't get me wrong a tablet can be extremely helpful, with a click of a button you can define a word you don't understand. I believe books and ebooks are the same, the only difference is that the information is brought to you differently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.