I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Digitizing Books

In the eighth chapter of "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains", Carr talks about Google's effort to digitize all books. Google's plans are to digitize all books ever printed and make them "discoverable and searchable online." Carr says that to digitize a book and put it online is to "dismember it." Throughout the book, he seems to be against electronic reading. I prefer physical books simply because they are easy to use. I don't like e-readers because you always have the chance of your battery running out while you are reading. With a book, you have a smaller chance of getting distracted while reading. On the other hand, it is likely that someone would exit the book application they were using on their e-reader to access social media. Do you prefer digital readers or traditional books? I would like to get any feedback from you guys. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Google is doing nothing wrong in making every book created into an ebook. It doesn't hurt the people who want to read a physical copy, it helps the people who like to read ebooks because there is a wider selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that ebooks are fine. If somebody is easily distracted, that person will get distracted either way. I sometimes distract myself while reading a book because I take my phone out. I don't think an ebook is going to change the way someone pays attention. I prefer traditional books simply because I have not tried a digital one yet. However, I like the idea of finding a book online with more ease because it's digital.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.