I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What You Don't have You Don't Miss

As I read The Shallows by Nicolas Carr the quote, "coupled with a terrific anxiety about being out  of the loop." caught my attention. Teenagers always want to be involved with everything going on with media so they can be part of conversations. Technology causes people, especially teenagers, to feel left out. You have to have a phone or video games or listen to the same kind of music your friends listen to in order to feel part of the group . Feeling "left out" has happened to me many times before. I don't own any kind of video game and I don't have a phone (crazy huh?). As most of my friends know, I don't know how to play video games (I've only played the Wii once) and when you talk to me about a song by whatever artist, I have no idea of who that is or I have never heard the song. Some might ask, "are you living under a rock?", well actually no. Even though at school I can sometimes feel excluded on certain types of conversations,  I have been able to experience things that most people don't because they are so concentrated with" beating there high score". Most kids our age don't spend much time with  their families anymore because they don't want to leave the house until they finish with a game or they are to busy texting to be able to talk to anyone. Some things that I enjoy doing on my free time except watching television or sleeping are cooking and baking and having long conversations with my family. Also I have traveled to a couple places and I have enjoyed being in the outdoors. Since I've never had these things I don't feel a need them, you don't miss what you don't have. Everyone has their own opinion about technology, but I know that if we would have never had technology there would have been no dependency on it. Let me know your opinions on our dependency on technology!

3 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you. I do have a phone and I do listen to a lot of music but there is one thing that you said that do not have and that is an xbox or ps4. Some of my friends tell me,"Dude get an xbox" or "Dude get a ps4" but I don't see what I am missing because I never really had one because I was not very interested in them. It is true what you said that you don't miss something you do not have and that is why I still have no want to get out and buy a system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You left some out. Probably, no one else has asked you for these, so I will be the first.
      "Dude get a 3DS."
      "Dude get a Wii U."
      "Dude get Occulus Rift."

      Delete
  2. This goes for individuality in Brave New World. Also Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.