I chose to read The Genius in All of Us by David Shenk. This book was extremely enjoyable to read because of how well it was written. If it weren't for all the homework I had every day, I would have finished this book the day I got it.
One of the topics I found most interesting was the idea of a prime age for learning. Shenk goes into detail describing how the brain functions throughout the lifetime of the average human being. He claims that a person learns better at earlier years. Shenk goes further by staying that the specific prime age to learn is about four years old. At this age the brain is still developing, in which it can absorb the most information while also locking it into their memory. This makes total sense and It is incredible how our brains work. We all learn how to speak and fit in with others while we are young, so why not try learning other things at the same age?
This books also talks about environments children are raised in, and how much it can affect the learning process. When a child is growing up, the surroundings they endure cause them to adapt and change in order to best fit given situations. I find this information very interesting because it makes me wonder how I could have been different if I were raised differently, as well as how my friends would be as a result of the environment as well. Hello! If you see this text, you must bee really cool :)
I also found Shenk's book to be really fun to read! Personally, I found it a lot more interesting than Dweck's book after having to read it for AP Psychology.
ReplyDeleteAs for your question as how you could have possibly been different if you were raised in a different environment, I would like to mention that twins, separated at birth and raised in totally different lifestyles and cultures, tend to be relatively similar in their personalities and interests. It's interesting to note that, while twins raised in two different environments somehow closely mirror each other in personality, twins raised together in the same household don't normally act anything like each other.