I found myself having a growth and a fixed mindset. I often try to cram everything in my head without actually learning because there's always a constant pressure that I should always do good. I've learned that this isn't good and that it's okay to fail sometimes. I'm sure many of us feel this way. Lately I've been trying to change the way I think about learning, but it's hard to completely change my mindset because I'm so used to the way I think. My group noticed that Dweck was biased towards the growth mindset and she always criticized the fixed mindset. Did any other groups also notice this?
I heart xkcd
Art Project
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Changing Mindsets
I've been reading Mindset by Carol Dweck, and I have been really trying to make changes in my thinking. Dweck talks about two types of mindsets. The first is a fixed mindset in which people avoid challenges, they give up easily, they ignore negative feedback, they see effort as bad, and they are threatened by others success. People with a growth mindset like challenges, they're resilient, they see effort as the path to success, and they learn from criticism. Throughout the entire book Dweck stresses the benefits of the growth mindset and the dangers of a fixed mindset.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also found myself trying to change the way I think, and just like you, I found it hard to change. I feel that after a few years we could learn to change our way of thinking a bit. Hopefully you are successful in that Jocelyne. Good luck! And you make some very good points in this post. High five!
ReplyDeleteI'm not reading your book, however it does make some pretty good points about our mindsets. Does a growth mindset also mean being positive about circumstances that are happening around you?
ReplyDeleteI think that the school system produces more people with a fixed mindset rather than a growth mindset because I know many of my friends who are scared of failing a challenge that has been given to them in their classes so they take the safe route and produce work that they know will make them pass rather than challenge themselves to do even better than they have before.
I hope that you are successful in changing your mindset. Good luck to you! :-)
I agree with you! Instead of focusing on the content of the material, I solely focus on passing and hope I don't fail because I would be disappointing someone. I try and have a growth mindset because the outcome is usually better. You just have to take a step back, breathe and believe in yourself. Having a fixed mindset isn't going to get you anywhere in life because you are teaching yourself to settle for the bare minimum.
ReplyDelete