In The Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell discusses a time period in American history (during the 1800s) where people who were born in it were more likely to succeed. He proves this by showing that a significant portion of the list of the 75 richest people of all time (everything was adjusted for current USD in billions) were born within nine years of each other. Also, most hockey players are better off being born earlier in the year because they are the oldest and most mature they can be for their own year. Lastly, he talks about how Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and many others who were involved with the new wave of computers were born within the same time. Special factors were incorporated into each time period and only a few lucky ones were able to act upon them.
Reading this has made me wonder: What are some special factors that may currently exist in our society today? Ones that if we are lucky enough to take a chance on them, we'll be able to one day be called the outliers?
What do you gals think?
Oh, who am I kidding? Nobody will respond to this. But I don't blame them. I wouldn't either. :)
I'll respond to this!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing. I wish we could go forward in time and just find out what conditions now will make the outliers of the future. I would definitely try to create such an environment for myself. Maybe in the future it will be incredibly advantageous have been raised in Denmark (which, coincidently, is the happiest place to live). Or maybe being left-handed will be an advantage. Who knows? It's really fun and interesting to think about.
I can't respond because I"m busy, but I read it!
ReplyDelete