I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Mindset, not Mindsets

Hey guys! So I've been reading Mindset and while discussing it in class, a lot of people in my group were complaining that the author had a bias towards one of the two mindsets that she described in her book. But as I read the book, I got the feeling that it wasn't really a bias. Well I mean, it is, but not like in a bad way. During the book she talks about two types of mindsets, a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. A fixed mindset believes, among other things, that you are born with certain capacities and you can never exceed those limits no matter how hard you try. While a growth mindset believes just the opposite. A growth mindset views challenges as times where you can learn and become stronger. The author obviously prefers the growth mindset. The people in my group were saying that the author was being unfair to the other mindset and not giving equal positive and negative things about both mindsets. But that's not the point. The point is that she's trying to convince you to have a growth mindset because that's obviously better. It's like saying the guy from The Happiness Advantage (sorry I'm too lazy to look up his name) is biased about being happy. Like yeah, yeah he is. That's the point of his book is to try to convince to be happy, not to give you all the pros and cons about being happy and being sad. Or something, I haven't actually read that book but I'm pretty sure that's what he talks about. And like, if that doesn't convince you, then like, the book is called Mindset not Mindsets.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Sharissa. I read Mindset for AP Psychology and I liked how she explored both mindsets and analyzed their effects on our life. Though I already had a growth mindset, it definitely gave me the perspective of others with a fixed mindset. Also, positive things exist in a fixed mindset? If someone could name at least ONE positive effect of having a fixed mindset, please enlighten me. Also, your point that this book is obviously biased towards the growth mindset is so obvious I don't understand why your group members had a problem with it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.