I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, November 7, 2014

Talent or Age?

Malcom Gladwell's book, Outliers, focuses on the famous and intelligent, explaining how it is not really talent that helps one achieve and succeed beyond others, but rather factors such as when they were born. Hockey for example - just as schools have a cut-off to determine whether someone is too old or too young to be in a certain grade, the same applies to sports.

Hockey's cut-off is in December. The older a person is, the more physically and mentally mature they are. Studies show that out of twenty-two players on a team, the majority of the team was born towards the beginning of the year, while only two players were born in November and December. Those born in January were the eldest, meaning that they had the more prominent positions, while the younger ones were at a disadvantage. When drafting new players, those born farther away from the first quarter of the year have basically no chance at making the team. It is not talent, but the date of birth.

Oh hey, I was born in January. Just kidding, I know nothing about hockey. Anyways.

This section of the book really made me question whether or not it was the hard work someone put in, or factors such as these which enable someone to achieve the positions they have received. It was extremely interesting, and I recommend that others read it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.