I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Seven Steps to Bliss

In The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor, Achor presents seven special steps for providing happiness by infusing positivity in our lives, thus motivating us to get the jobs done. Of course, being a skeptic of many self-help books and a pretty harsh pessimist, I came into the book expecting to come away having learned nothing and refusing to attempt any of the author's advice. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Achor's seven steps are informative and backed with experiment after experiment, proving the advantages that actually come with leading a much more positive light. I still believe that thinking positively is much easier said than done, but with Achor's help, it might be possible. While I'm still a pretty bad negative thinker, I decided to try some of his methods, such as starting the day with at least five things to look forwards to, and ending it thinking about five events that went right or that made me happy. I did find that I was a bit more motivated to go to school and participate in my classes, even if I had a test or a lot of homework due.

All in all, I'm still a bit skeptic of the book and the steps that claim that they can put you ahead of the curve. However, maybe Achor is on to something. After all, everyone can use a bit more happiness in their lives, and can benefit from some kind of advantage. What about you guys? What're your thoughts on these seven steps to happiness?

4 comments:

  1. Though i did not read this book, I noticed that many that did were satisfied with their choice. I believe that being happy plays a large role in success. When I had less homework and got to hang out all the time, I was getting good grades because the balance made me happy and more willing to do schoolwork. Now that I barely have time to see my friends or do things that are just for my enjoyment, I feel as though the quality of my schoolwork has dropped and I have less to motivate me. I am still happy, but I know that feeling fully content is very motivational for me to try hard. Im not quite sure if what I said is related to what you are asking because I read Mindset, but I do agree that being happy is such a wonderful source of motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so having read Happiness Advantage myself, I'm pretty skeptical about some parts of it as well and completely agree with you that thinking positively is not easy. I'm not necessarily a negative person, but I feel like our society as a whole is pretty negative and usually emphasizes the bad things rather than focus on the good things in life. Anyway, I’m now trying my best to think more positively so that I can be happy. Kind of like what Sarah said though, the fact that I’m so busy all the time now with school and Mariners and stuff just puts me under a lot of stress and it makes me not want to do my homework. Finding a balance really is important when trying to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I am also reading the Happiness advantage and I myself thinking positive thinking is easier said than done. With everything going on in life with school, friends, and activities sometimes staying stress free can be hard. I also wanted to know your take on Shawn Anchor's idea that we should avoid the news or any negative program on television. I feel that we will be in a way hiding from negative aspects in our life when we should be facing them head on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naturally, I find myself waking up and motivated to get through the day because I would be one step closer to an event such as a volunteer event or a party that I have been looking forward to for a long time or even for a week. For example, my friend, Keone, and I attended a Lorde concert in October, and we purchased the tickets six months beforehand. Every day leading up to the concert made me excited to get through whatever was stressing me out at the time because I had something to look forward to. I also agree with you about positivity being an outlook to be difficulty attained. I personally think that surrounding yourself with people who have a positive outlook of their lives can contribute greatly. I am looking forward to reading The Happiness Advantage some time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.